Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs and a Pump

Architectdave

Picked up this pump and 3 hp briggs today for $15.00 Carb is missing some screws and the float and needle valve. WHats the best source for briggs parts for this, I know Ive ordered some stuff thru Jacks Small Engines before but can't remember If I got a float and rebuild kit thru them or Briggs directly...originally I stopped because the sign said tractors but they were broken down Murry's :/ 3 hp briggs Model - Type - Code 80331 02701 7103293 Serial Number c1014458 Gorman Pump 81 1/2 A 6 Anyone have any input on this?

I have a similar engine only in 5 hp on a 400 wonderboy. Mine has the pulsa-jet carb with the tank mounted underneath it. Just bought a new diaphram, gaskets for between carb. and gas tank, new screen for suction tube in tank, and gasket for mounting carb and it all cost about $22 from my local Simplicity dealer, who is also a Briggs dealer. They get my parts in two days if they don't have them in stock and their prices are very close to any of the online dealers. I use online dealers for aftermarket parts (such as stens ring sets) when briggs parts are nla. Steve

Between the float and carb kit its looking like $60.....way to much to spend on this thing considering it may have other issues once it gets going. Im going to let it sit for a while.

It wouldn't be hard to swap this engine over to a Pulsa-Jet carb off a later model engine and those are much more common.

I've got a similar pump/motor. The B&S is model 80331 (same as yours), type 943098, no code shown. I used it to fill a water system supply tank up the hill behind my summer cabin. A couple of years ago it wouldn't start, and I needed a supply pump quickly so I replaced it with a new Honda that starts first pull everytime. I wanted to get the old Briggs working again as a backup. I found the float needed replacing and the needle valve is worn. I looked the numbers up on the Briggs site and went to the local dealer. He looked up the price for the float and thought I must have the wrong number, because the cost is about $49. He checked it out and I had the right number. He then said the old parts are much more expensive, and that the brass is now very expensive. For that price, they can leave them on their shelves for a long time. Maybe I'll see if I can locate one of those Pulsa-jet carbs just to get the old pump operational again for my "museum".

An update. I found a US site with much lower prices for the float ($19.95US), and reasonable shipping, so I ordered one. Hope the delivery works out OK. It's at/www.lawnmowerpros.com I didn't check for availability or pricing of other B&S products, but it could be a good source for parts.

www.Jackssmallengine.com and http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/ have always served me well. If you have a hard time looking up the part numbers, www.partstree.com is pretty intuitive to look them up but Tulsa and Jacks are far cheaper. It should be noted that Tulsa's website does not list all things on the pull down menu, you will want to dial the part number into the search directly.

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
Can't see the carb too well in the picture. Is that a tiny little 4 screw 2 piece flow jet?
Yes Dan, those are smaller version Flo-Jets. They used those on a few early model engines before the single line Vacu-jet carbs. Vacu-Jets didn't work well so they switched to the Pulsa-Jet models so The fuel level would remain constant. When the fuel level changed it would change the fuel mixture. I'm guessing they changed from the small Flo-Jets because of cost.

Oddly enough I just bought a 1994 generator with a 8 HP I/C and it came with the same flo jet that my 23D has. Maybe it's different internally but I was surprised to see it still around.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
Can't see the carb too well in the picture. Is that a tiny little 4 screw 2 piece flow jet?
Yes Dan, those are smaller version Flo-Jets. They used those on a few early model engines before the single line Vacu-jet carbs. Vacu-Jets didn't work well so they switched to the Pulsa-Jet models so The fuel level would remain constant. When the fuel level changed it would change the fuel mixture. I'm guessing they changed from the small Flo-Jets because of cost.
The reason I asked, I have a couple of those laying around. I'd have to open them up to see their condition

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
It wouldn't be hard to swap this engine over to a Pulsa-Jet carb off a later model engine and those are much more common.
You know, you're right, i think i might have a couple somewhere...good thinking.

quote:
Originally posted by Architectdave
Rokon, PM me about a few parts if you are interested... thanks.
I will take a look at them and get back to you this weekend by PM

I've been away a few days (stroke) but on return found that altough the PayPal payment had been processed, lawnowerpros "mispriced" their float and now want about $33 each - I was given a refund. Since I haven't been using the pump, it's no longer worth a new one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts