Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dentwizz

Upgrades, and cheaper too!

Recommended Posts

dentwizz
I have long been annoyed by the tie rod ends both on the primary and secondary ties on my LL (the 210 too but not as bad). A little research on McMaster-Carr and 38 bucks later.... [IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz291/sedonaatx/Image0113.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz291/sedonaatx/Image0114.jpg[/IMG] I also upgraded to 16x 6.50 x8 tires on the front, which unfortunately need to have the backspacing adjusted a little to lighten the input force. The handling is dead-on precise and not wobbly now at least. Makes for nice straight stripes8D The tie rod between the wheels is a 3/8" rod with a pair of threaded 3/8" heim joints welded to it. It is a little lighter than I would have chosen but it is decent performing and I have had no complaints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dentwizz
I forgot to add that I added a roller bearing in the steering column tube as well($14) also from McMaster Carr. 3/4 shaft by 1-1/4" od. No slop and half as much as the rubber bushing;) No picture though of that partsm00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
larry8200
McMaster-Carr is a great source, no question. I'll be interested to see how your secondary tie rod holds up. I have those same Carlisle Turf Saver II's on the front of my 74 Sovereign and love them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Talntedmrgreen
I had never thought of needles in the column...that would certainly take care of the slop, and avoid those gooefy bushings. I may have to incorporate that into the Squire redo. Did you simply press them in,a nd are they held in there snugly? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dentwizz
The way I did on mine was meant to be temporary but it actually worked out. I just happened to have a locking collar already in place to hold a previous bushing in place. The OD of the bearing is not a heavy press into the tube. The planned way(Which I will get to eventually) was to set a locking collar down where the bearing will rest, then tap the bearing into place. As a dust cap(barely seen in picture) I took a oil jug cap and drilled a 3/4 hole in it. ADvance brand 5qt jugs were almost exact fit for that. Grease it thoroughly prior to installing, so that excess oozes out when you put the dust cap on and you should be set for a very long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×