Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CVSB10JCS

Simplicity 7119 gas in oil!!!

CVSB10JCS
Two months ago checked oil before starting to mow and it was over full!! Did son add some??? Drained out excess and mowed that week. The next week oil in range but tractor running rough so pull air filter and all icky so installed new one with no difference. Next week tractor blows oil out of muffler when started!!! Well this is new! And runs rough, decided to remove air filter while running and got ALOT of blowby, so much that it drowns carb out so I removed metal cover and filter and just ran open. Next week oil over full again!!! I have determined that either the fuel pump is leaking of the float is leaking and dumping gas into the motor oil. No oil filter so Series I I guess?!?! Any ideas of what to fix and how to do it?

Brettw
Well, you can rebuild the carb to make sure the float is operating properly amongst other things; you can pull the engine apart to get at the fuel pump to determine if it is damaged and leaking through the pump arm. You can do what most of us do, regardless of engine, and put in an in-line fuel shutoff and get used to using it when you shut the tractor down. If you are careful, you can open the top of the fuel pump without major sheet metal and engine dis-assembly to check the fuel pump innards. Note that there is no available rebuild kit that I am aware of. New pumps are kind of pricey. As an aside, I would also check the breather assembly under the valve cover. This is the cover with the hose that runs to the air filter. There is a rubber "mushroom" valve under the cover, perhaps the size of a dime. If it has failed, it can cause all kinds of havoc with oil in the filter, blow by, seal issues, etc. The new replacement part is a steel reed valve, and is about $16, and drops right in. The Series II will say so right on the air filter cover. Not all Series II had oil filters. The earlier units did not. The Series II provided for more pressurized areas than the original. Either way, any of the issues you are speaking of, if not corrected, will mean an early demise for your engine. So good luck in finding and fixing the issue.

gwiseman
Jeff I routinely add a Briggs or Stens in-line gasoline shutoff valve on all my older garden tractors. Search for gas in oil in talking tractors. This one may help http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113636&SearchTerms=gas+in+oil

Al
If your tractor sets for a while and if you pull the plugs and turn it over and it blows gas out it is probably the carb. Ground the plug wires away from the spark plug holes so you don't have a flash fire. A fuel pump with a leaking diaphram can often be checked by taking the fuel hose off the carb and put a fuel pressure guage in it. Turn the engine over and if the pressure comes up and then leaks down the pump usually is bad. I often do this with my finger over the end of the hose and hold it for about 30 seconds. If the pressure goes away the pump is usually bad. REMEMBER GASOLINE AND AIR MIXED ARE EXPLOSIVE EXERCISE CARE. Al Eden

CVSB10JCS
UPDATE: well i figured out how to get to fuel pump by removing sparkplug & tinwork and removed fuel pump, it appeared to pump fuel when i moved lever, i tore pump apart abd looked at diaphram and it appeared to have no holes so i left it hanging to see if fuel would drip out the bottom and it didnt?!?! i blowed into carb to see if needle valve was leaking and it didnt appear to be so i was stumped!!! i went to tractor store and got a fuel shutoff and changed oil and then tore off other side of tin and used garden hose to blast all chaff and gook out of heads & flywheel and put together and oil level seems ok with shutoff being used. so what was the problem?? it will probably shoup sooner or later.