Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Good trade - now have a blade

country

I traded a Mckissic shredder for a Simplicity blade. I have been trying to sell the shredder for about 2 years, but there has been no interest because it's not a chipper/shredder. I found the this blade on Craisgslist, and worked out an even trade.

A pic of both.

Another pic of both.

Blade mfg number.

Hitch mfg number.

Cutting edge wear. The cutting edge is worn down to the bottom of the blade. I suspect the PO didn't set the feet correctly, which leads me to a question. Can the cutting edge be removed and flipped over to use the other side? I think I've seen this done by other members, but can't remember for sure. The pivot pin, mounting pins, and lift rod are missing, but those are no big deal to find or make. I also need to look up the numbers and see what I can for manuals yet. Posted this first because I'm happy with my trade.

A friend of mine does heat treating so I had him make me two new feet for the blade and heat treat them to harder than the gates of heaven! Have not had any need for new ones and that was 4 years ago! I think I will have him do the cutting edge next.

Just downloaded the manuals and confirmed two things: 1. It's a 42" blade. 2. The 42" blades did not have the remote angle, they are a 3 position get off the seat and angle the blade manual design. Next question is will a 42" blade on an angle be wide enough for my 917H? Hotrodtractor - please note I stated it was not a chipper shredder, only a shredder, which is why I believe I saw no interest in it.

I have the exact same blade on my 716-6...works great. I'd still keep your eyes peeld for a remote angle 46" though...you wont be going back! }:)

Nice looking blade! I have a remote angle 42" trip blade my Dad bought new with my 3416H in 75. Unfortunately the Mfg. tag is long gone... I have it on my 7112H now. I also have a 46" remote angle on my BIG TEN, the extra 4" makes a big difference when fully angled, the 42" spills into the front tires.

What's to say the 42" blade can't become a remote angle with some creativity.:D Of course I would try to do so without hacking up the blade because it's in good condition overall.

quote:
Originally posted by country
What's to say the 42" blade can't become a remote angle with some creativity.:D ....
Absolutely nothing, but since my Dad bought it new with a new 3416H in 1975 it seems unlikely. However I looked in my Simplicity parts desk reference and online and could not find any reference to a 42" remote angle dozer blade. I have the original manual and if I can lay my hands on it I will report it. In any case the 46" blade has better tire clearance than the 42" when angled, and I CAN testify to that. As for "Creativity" I almost had it out with my local dealer today over someones creative shimming of a BGB that I was sure was original but absoluetely wasn't. I hate looking foolish. :)

46" remote/spring blades are cheap may not be worth effort to mod. I have sold many for $200 and do have one more, if you have a shredder you want to trade for :(