Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
kenmill1958

ANTI FREEZE in TIRES

kenmill1958
Been thinking of loading the tires on my 919 with anti freeze. I have quite a bit of the old green ethylene glycol type around still. Any thoughts on this ?? Thanks Ken

wilm169
It is cheeper with winshield washer fluid. + it is not as hard on pets if you have a leak.

kenmill1958
Cost is not a problem The anti freeze is free. Pets might be though

Burntime
It is not enviromentally safe to put antifreeze in them. Go with windshield washer fluid or buy wheel weights. Your kids, kids will thank you.

Al
Hi, In the mid 80s, an old dealer told me that he put a little shot of pure anti freeze in these tires to fix leaks. He said it would soften the rubber and it would even seal around a nail. I thought this was great and so I started putting anti-freeze in 50/50 for weight. After 3 years, I started to see some of these rear tires with bumps, gourds and grotesque twists in the tread. When dismounted many of the cords were a snarl inside the tire. Not all the tires failed, but too many did. Then the Sunrunners came out and needed every bit of traction they could get. Someone suggested washer fluid and they approved use of it. I have never had any trouble with the washer fluid, and rims and paint etc. seem to show no effects from it. Al Eden

wilm169
The farm tire people have some stuf called BEET JUICE they are using now, will not rust the rims or hurt the tires no tube needed.

sbull78
i used washer fluid and the traction was great!i am now using calcium chloride inside a heavy duty tire and that is working awesome as well, just as long as the tube doesnt leak becasue it will start to eat rims after awhile...if someone did rimguard(beet juice) close to me i would do that as i think this is the best scenario....

Storm7012
I run 5 gallons of washer fluid in my winter tires and works great.

kenmill1958
Enough said. Do not need damaged new tires from anti freeze, or dead pets

Storm7012
Dead puppys aren't much fun.

Brettw
As an FYI, water weighs approximately 8 lbs per gallon (just under 8). That should give us some idea of how much weight we will be adding per tire.

Burntime
quote:
Originally posted by Storm7012
OMG, thats an old doctor demento song!:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57KDDKbfhmI

Al
Hi, Tires need to have some air when fluid is used. When the tire is standing upright with the valve up, air should come out of the valve stem. If the tire is tipped toward the valve stem, fluid can come out. This would be the max amount of fluid that should be used in a tire. Beyond this the tire loses the ability flex, tread to lay flat on the bottom, not ride or behave like a solid tire. Al Eden

kenmill1958
Thanks Guys!! Al is a wizard with these things

Storm7012
quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
quote:
Originally posted by Storm7012
OMG, thats an old doctor demento song!:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57KDDKbfhmI
I didn't think anyone would remember that.....lol