Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Bar tread vs. "turf-saver" tread

This questions may have been asked a while back, but what type of tire is better for pushing snow, bar tread or the traditional turf saver tread (w/chains)? I use the turf-saver w/chains along with a 70lb weight on each rear wheel. I have been told I would have slightly better traction with bar tread. I have also considered filling the rear tires with fluid. I'm asking now so that I can get the tractor (7014S) set up in time for winter. Thanks.

KenW
My opinion only but turf with chains worked best for me. If your blade/blower is doing the job it is not deep snow you need the traction for but ice. Bar tires are not that good in ice. I had a spare set of wheels and turf tires with chains for winter and took off my bar tires until tilling time in the spring. Ken W

SmilinSam
I have run both ways, but I use chains with both types. The bars with chains cant be beat from my experience. I run bars all year long as I have some banks to mow and it keeps me from sliding around. No noticable damage to the lawns either. Sam

arnoldir
I plow snow with a Simp 6216 and was impressed with the performance with 26x12x12 Lug tires I put on it last fall. They worked great, and do not mark up the driveways like chains do. Several of my neighbors (customers) have nice blacktop and would have a cow if I caused any damage. I run them with no fluid, and did have trouble getting through snow over 4" deep if I was NOT plowing it but just joyriding. Filled up with washer fluid I believe it would be unstoppable.

shanej
i plow with my 1967 simplicity 2110 with the turf tires with cahnges on it and it plows very good. i plow out mi whole block with it. the most i have been able to push with it is about 8in of wet heavy snow.