Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pony Motor on Simplicity 3012

matt3012

I have done some thinking on putting a Pony Motor on my 3012 for some time just to be different. I have run into the problem on how to engage the belt drive system and disengage it. This is what i have so far. I am using the original starter generator bracket to mount the engine which is a 4.5 2 stroke engine from a snow blower that should do the job. I'm also using the stock belt setup that the starter used, but have run into a road block on how I will engage and disengage the belt without having the belt come off the big engine after starting. Any suggestions would be great.

In theory, you will need an engage stop, a release stop, an engagement handle, a spring and two belt guides. The handle is your clutch, both stops limit the starter engine travel, the spring returns the engine to disengaged position and the belt guides keep the belt loosely in the pulley groove, probably the large side allowing it to stop and not burn up. That's my idea, how you make it work is fine by me and good luck. Oh an how will you charge the battery? Also the mounting the starter will be a problem as both engines need to be mounted in the same fashion which will mount the starter further back of the main engine.

Thanks for your reply Bob. I think I will try your plan with some of my fab work. And as far as charging the battery, I am going to use a smaller Lithium ion battery to power two led work lights in the front. The engine won't need any power to run as far as the battery is concerned but I think this plan might work. When I put it all together I will post some pics of the steps and plans for it as well as the finished product. Again thanks Bob.

Also, you could use a small electric clutch. Example,,, Start the pony engine, Engage the clutch to start the Briggs, Disengage the pony engine clutch, Turn off the pony engine. You would be using current off your small battery to engage the clutch.

What sort of engine would this be? If you used a decent battery onboard it would be more than enough to supply what is needed. If it was small enough you could make the engine mount where the hydro pump would go and use an air conditioner compressor style electric clutch(Ie The belt would stay taut and live) to engage it.

Alrightythen. I come here for the camaraderie, to talk smack, help when I can and learn a whole lotsa stuff. So I'll admit ignorance and bite the bullet. Please define "Pony motor" for me. I want two git smarterer.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
Alrightythen. I come here for the camaraderie, to talk smack, help when I can and learn a whole lotsa stuff. So I'll admit ignorance and bite the bullet. Please define "Pony motor" for me. I want two git smarterer.
An engine starting another engine.In the US, Cat and John Deere were the bigger users for starting their early Diesel engines. This method all but obsolete now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km1EfBaOxNQ&feature=related .:D

It is still used in large airliners and other such aircraft turbine contexts sometimes. A small engine to run generators and starters while on the ground since the big engines take a ton to start.