Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1974Elec-Trac

MPH

I recall in years past these have been discussed on here. Anyone have one running? See one on craigslist for 300bucks, not running, need someone with electronic knowhow. Looks well kept in the pic.

I knew of a couple in a boneyard, one GE badged, one WheelHorse, and a AVCO New Idea. I think GE was the source on all of them. I'm sure they're long gone....

There are two or three at the Dodge CoutyAntique Assoc every year. $300 sounds not bad batteries might be a bummer. http://www.elec-trak.org/

The good: power much simpler than an internal combustion engine, really quiet, no oil, no gas, no ignition problems, no bad gas carburetor issues, just turn the key - doesn't care if it's hot or cold, it runs. The bad: corrosion from the battery acid, hard to get parts, attachments scarce, replacements are expensive - I had the small GE with a deck (E-8). It had same structural issues due to corrosion. It was pretty cool to be able to flip a few switches, mow the lawn and still hear the birds (well, almost). If it's in good shape mechanically and electrically, with an attachment or two, $300 is probably a pretty fair price even if it needs batteries. DO you know which model it is and what attachments it has? John

John, it is a T-15 with a mower deck and snowblower. No phone #, must contact through craigslist which I can't get to work on safari.

I almost got one from the local scrapper but someone already had dibs on it:( I thought it would be an interesting experiment for my electrical engineering dad to play with, since he designs power supplies. I've always wondered how they were for run time per charge?

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
I've always wondered how they were for run time per charge?
I've heard that they can run for up to eight hours on a charge. Of course that time will vary depending on what sort of loads are applied. They are a 36vdc system using 6 6 volt batteries. The charger for them is also onboard the machine. There are some neat clips on youtube of these in action.

Marty, If it's in decent shape with working attachments, I'd say it's a deal, even if you have to replace the batteries. Here's a link to some info: http://elec-trak.org/ As I recall, the 15 (and I think it's 'E' not 'T') was the largest that they made, and should be able to do whatever you ask. Just think, flip a switch, and it's running - especially where you are! These good folks can help you keep it running: http://www.kansaswindpower.net/
[img]/club2/attach/John_RI/Apr18_14.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
John, it is a T-15 with a mower deck and snowblower. No phone #, must contact through craigslist which I can't get to work on safari.
From one Mac user to another... use Firefox.. http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/ you dont have to register for the tips... just choose download... great browser... free... and open source... was the creator of the old Netscape before AOL ruined that.. and if youre not a Mac user you should still use Firefox!!

Hi, We had a customer that had 2 of them. We used to work on them. I believe I still have microfiche for them. I am not interested in selling them, but would be interested in working with someone that wanted to get them digitized. Al Edem