Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

gjh

No spark Briggs 12hp

gjh
My Homelite T12 (3412) has no spark to the plug. I just put the points and condensor in less than 30 hrs ago & she has been in my shed all summer. Cleaned and regapped plugs and points, still no go. I checked the lead that runs from the ign switch to the flywheel (coil I assume) is OK and the ohm meter shows no breaks in the wiring, but no 12 volt when I turn it over with the batt hooked up. I assume there should be 12v to the coil for it to fire, am I correct? So I have confirmed that the wire from the switch to coil has continuity, but does not get 12 volts. Can I run 12v directly to the coil through this wire and se if that is it? The ground on the point & condensor checks out OK. Any ideas? Thanks

dentwizz
Is that the Briggs engine or the Kohler system? It should be determined before recomending anything because the briggs coil is non-powered other than flywheel magnet and battery 12v can damage it.

gjh
it's a Briggs as the subject line says. Now that I have done some reading I see that I should not run 12v to the coil. What are my options? Does the white wire act as a ground to shut off the ignition?

GLPointon
If its like my B&S engines the condenser is the weak link.. Every time I've had a no spark problem it has been a bad condenser. The last time it was only about 6 engine hrs old...I found if the cover gets a bit of moisture in it, its done... I always keep a spare on hand now. Good Luck

BLT
Just to eliminate guess work, have you removed ground wire, then removed the spark plug, laid it on the head and spun the engine with key on to make sure the is/is not a spark?

dentwizz
Condensors are so cheap it almost doesn't pay to test. Last I got one it was less than 10 bucks. -btw clarification to the opening question: Some engines along the way have had 12v coils added instead of fixing the internal briggs coil.

GLPointon
I've been there done that...pinched the wire with the points cover. Remember; keep it simple, its usually tune-up parts or wiring at fault. If there not damaged the ignition coils last for a long time.(I have 2 that are > 40 yrs old)
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Also make sure the points wire going into the points cover isn`t shorting out at that point.