Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric left for the 7016

Storm7012

I've got a left I'm putting on my 7016 and it only works with the key off...... I took it off a 7117 I parted out and wired it up just like it was on the 7117. It worked fine then, but something is wrong on the 7016. Ground goes to the block under the dash and power comes from the amp meter.

I thought on the older ones that you took power off the fuse block... It may have been my gth-l so I may be wrong. I guess wire in a relay and use the key switch to power up the relay...

Yes inside under the dash there is a "key hot" terminal block. That should be the power source for the lift switch or relay if you use one. The one I bought from Mike(burntime) I wired without a relay to my 7010 and it has worked perfect since...

I don't remeber exactly what the differences are, but the 7117 should have been a Kohler and the 7016 a Briggs. Ignition switches are probably different. What may be hot on one isn't on the other. There are diagrams on here somewhere....

Power comes from the block under the dash. Ground goes to the chassis. You can put the ground wire on any screw on the chassis. The way you have it now, there is 12 volts on both terminals when the switch is on. When you turn it off, then there is still 12V on the power wire from the amp meter, but the block is not being fed power, but is being grounded through the accessories, although not a full ground but a ground through a resistance. As I said before, put the positive wire on the block, and ground wire to the chassis. This will allow the lift to work only when the ignition switch is turned on.