Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Gas cans

Mel_W

Does anyone have a source for the old plastic cans with the yellow snap on vent. The new cans spill more then you get in the tank if you can't get the nozzle in perfect alignment. Mel

I saw 3 at a fee market should have bought them all. I bought a new 5g can this spring and I hate it. Then if it is full and it is really hot outside it expands like its going to blow!!! They fill for crap and no vent!!!!

you guys need http://www.nospill.com/ These can's rock. I have 5 of them, for personal and business. Fast flow, and no spill, for real.

Ray, a funnel would be great but you can't use one with these new cans. The spout has to be inside the tank then you push down to open the stopper so the gas will come out. Most everything I put gas in doesn't have room for the spout. The tanks on my tractors are all right under the steering wheel. Guess I'll have to siphon it in from now on.

Ok, mine does have that. Mine is none vented. Walmart sells spouts that don`t have to be pushed down. More government BS. What`s next a certified government employee comes and fills it for you? I wonder why where I put walmart it has a line under it so it is linked to Walmart when clicked on. That is odd. Never had that happen before. Kent, you have any idea on that?

A friend gave me a roll around that holds approx 25 gal. Has a valve at the bottom and a gas pump type handle with a hose. Works great.

Mel, I bought one of those new ones, WOW, thanks Mr. Nador. Works best with a funnel and NO spout, just set it aside. My funnel is about 8 inches in dia.

I had one of the ones with the vent built in the spout, sort of a transition from the vented to the new non-vented. Luckily the one spout would fit on the new can. I still have trouble with it swelling, but i found a corner of the house that is usually out of the sun so I store it there. I'm so annoying by the new cans I'm considering buying a lever type hand pump, and a 15 or 20 gallon drum, and mounting it permanently on a dedicated hand truck.

If you don't keep pressure on the fuel nowadays, the alcohol will evaporate out of it. I guess that drilling a small vent hole in someplace, like the top handle would get you put in jail.:D

I agree with you Brendon on these new gas containers.
quote:
Originally posted by BrendonV
you guys need http://www.nospill.com/ These can's rock. I have 5 of them, for personal and business. Fast flow, and no spill, for real.

Only in America could we take a perfectly good working simplistic model, regulate it out of existance, and replace it with a much more expensive and complicated part that performs the same function...

Hi, We sell quite a few of the cans with the push button spout. Really work great with chain saws and trimmers We sell 1 and 2.5 gal ones. We don't have the 5 gal ones available from our Stihl dist. Al Eden

I still have the old round metal 5 gal cans, two of which are vented,put your thumb on the vent button and pour variety and one that is non vented whith the spring loaded cap that you have to pull back on the handle to open and fill as well as to pour out. All three work wonderfully and are almost as old as I am and show no signs of rusting out. I can't imagine using anything else! I always use a funnel and sometimes overfill a tank but thats life!:D

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
I still have the old round metal 5 gal cans, two of which are vented,put your thumb on the vent button and pour variety and one that is non vented whith the spring loaded cap that you have to pull back on the handle to open and fill as well as to pour out. All three work wonderfully and are almost as old as I am and show no signs of rusting out. I can't imagine using anything else!
my buddy has a old metal 5gl can with that spring load handle opens both spout and vent hole. works great and is in like new shape. well i recently came across this on ebay and was wondering what makes this vintage plastic :O. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Blitz-5-Gallon-Plastic-Gasoline-Gas-Can-Vent-/260852875865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbc0b0259 i have the same one i use weekly and has a $4.99 price tag on it. heck it cant be that old . i have a bunch more different size's in the shed. guess ill start picking them up at garage sales and the trash.