Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rfsmith1952

Vickers Drive Neutral Lever

rfsmith1952
Did some more work on the T-12 shiftshaft Drive/Neutral lever. Got it installed in the transmission cover. Works good. Here's what it looks like on the inside: (you are looking down at the right transmission cover. The lever is visible in the lower left hand corner of the frame) This is in the drive position

This is a close up of the shaft in the drive position. It shows the indentation in the shaft that acts as a detente. A spring and ball bearing in the yoke acts as the latch.

This is in the neutral or freewheel position:

and a close up of the shaft in the free position

I noticed that the lever moves much better with a little slap rather than continuous pressure. A little three-finger slap may eliminate the tractor rocking usually required to activate the lever. Well, lots more to do. Got some replacement fluids today. I need the gasket, the pulley for pump (5-1/2 x 1/2), and the brake shaft seal. I also made a one-minute movie that shows the actual movement. Keep in mind I'm a much better video editor than I am a tractor mechanic. Once again, thanks for all your help. You guys are great! Here's the link: http://youtu.be/NO8lRxWMKUc