Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wire up vanguard engine

hotrodtractor

Getting closer to finalizing the vanguard repower. Can anyone help me know what wires on the vanguard need what. When I get home I can take a pic and list the wires/colors. Unless someone knows of hand this is the engine http://www.brandnewengines.com/543477-1079.aspx

my tag says 1692450

I would like to know for example the orange wire is 12v+ in run the red wire is 12v to battery............. interesting part is that the plug goes directly to a briggs style key switch (this engine had self contained controls with it's own key) the key plug is perfect fit to the simplicity sovereign engine harness plug. The issue is I am sure they are not the same wires and the briggs has more wires: Orange:went to starter Black: Gray: from fuel shutoff solenoid Green: oil sensor Brown: from fuel shutoff solenoid Red: Yellow: Can you help me identify what to feed each wire?

Some preliminary guesses red is larger gauge and I am guessing in the charge system so that would mean red = 12v/ or direct to positive on battery orange only goes to the starter side so I am guess that it's gets 12v in the "start" position of the key

not that I can find. but by process of elimination I think I only need to fingure out a few more Orange:12v when key in start Black: ? Gray: ? Green: leave not conected (for oil sensor) Brown: ? Red: 12v or large wire direct to battery positive Yellow: ?

if I remember correctly, the way the motor is wired,all you had to do was to supply battery leads to to motor. However if you want the safeties and ammeter working you would have to splice in place

sure in theory I could just put in the briggs switch hook up to the battery and be good to go. Yes I would like to have it more united with the tractor. I have a few experts I can ask, but thought I would try here 1st.

I know when I put the Honda in the Sovereign mfg. no. 1692798 that I used the original harness. The light blue goes to the small terminal solenoid, white grounds the magnetoes and red goes to battery. I will send you a copy of the wiring diagram for your Sovereign if I can find it. I didn`t see a schematic for the Vanguard but I am sure that has to be one available.

If you want a copy of the manual send me your email address in a PM. I have 3,000 - 4,000 manuals. My manual is 1997 electrica info. My Sovereign was Command from factory so yours must be a early 1997 before they started putting in the "Turd OHC"

The tractor at the link below has a 31hp in it there is a link to owners manual that has wiring schmatic. You could check your wire colors on engine to see if they are the same. http://ventrac.com/products/tractors/4131/ It is the ventrac link below. Like the third one down. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=30&gs_id=2g&xhr=t&q=vanguard+31hp+wiring+schematics&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=vanguard+31hp+wiring+schematic&aq=0n&aqi=q-n1&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=298cfbc9b6f1239a&biw=784&bih=423

Thanks Ray Ok got out my meter and checked the 3 wires in the connector from the tractor and hooked up key switch and tested. Tractor Red = 12v in run White = grounded in off Orange = 12v in start Called Jim's repair tractor and picked his brain and after hard pushing he released some of the needed info. Vanguard engine also will list key switch letter for others B: Orange: 12v all time go direct to battery pos M: Black: mangento gets grounded in key off L: Gray: fuel selenod 12v in start and run Green: leave not conected (for oil sensor) G: Brown: Ground all time Red: large wire 12v in run and start S: Yellow: start 12v in start time to fire her up and see;) still waiting on other parts but wanted to tackle the wiring.