Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

WHICH is the best penetrat??

MPH
Of all the rust problems we have with tryin to redo these machines in my effirt not to hear a cast iron gear houseing, a local mech suggested I try coke, yea the stuff some people drink. After two days of soakin with PB blaster and Areo Kroil, why not, only warning I got was stick with until you win or buy a boat cuz you'll have your anchor. About 10 min first piece came off, took about 30 to get the center hub out. had a rainy day so no eve trimming, had all day. Also had no clue just what was suppose to give as I have no books for this tiller I'm wanting to make a tree root ripper out of. Hope this wasn't the easy part..MPH http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1642272&a=12566019&p=51447216

powermax_paul
A number of years ago I got some Kroil from a friend. I was really impressed, but haven't been able to find it, nor have I looked that hard. Can you get it on the web? I'm always grabbing WD40 but I guess that's just a habit. WD40 is fine for everyday use but I think Kroil is better. I never have tried Coke. I drink Pepsi, but beer is best. Paul

powermax_paul
Send that story to the Coca Cola Company. Maybe they'll send you a free case. Even if you don't drink the stuff, you'll have a good supply of penetrating oi.... (whatever).

MPH
Paul, I found the kroil at a ---contracters type store, deal in things like hilti fastners, weldinding supplys, industry type supplies.. Dutch, maybe I should send it to the FDA. Just got it all back together, used up lots of emerey cloth making it look like it seen a machine shop once-up-on a time.. MPH

dmcluckie
Tree root ripper ? What does a tree root ripper look like and how does one work ? You have got me curious. Any info would be interesting because I have no idea what one looks like or how it works. Thanks, Al

MikeES
Been using Coca-cola for about 40 years, doesn't work as good as it use to (probably a formula change or two). It only works on very oxidated (rusty) surface rust or when there is clearances to get the coke into the rust. I have never found it to work on fitted parts, i.e. pulley on a shaft. Mike S.

StanS
Fellow junk busters, Coke is great for disolving soft metals and stomach linings but, right after I got my first can of PB Blaster I thought I had died and gone to junk yard heaven. Stan

Kent
I work in the engineering dept. of a scale shop. The techs who work on truck and rail scales swear by something called "NUTS OFF" (I kid you not).... It is manufactured by: Spray Products Corporation Norristown, PA 19404 If anyone is interested, I can find out where they order it. We buy it by the case! Karl

dymondclay
The best stuff I ever saw was something that is sold at GM dealerships. I don't remember the part number for it but is commonly referred to a heat valve lubricant. I found a pair of channel lock pliers that had lain on a rock in the drain ditch next to my house several years after the home's previous owner lost them. They were frozen solid. One of my neighbors had this heat valve lube and sprayed it on the channel locks. With very little effort, they started working again and I still have them and they are still working smoothly. Clayton