Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vickers swap onto 7116?

gjh

There is a 7116 for sale with a 6 speed I am interested in. I love the Vickers hydro on my T12 and have an extra BGB & Vickers. Can I replace the 6 speed with the Vickers without major modification?

Some of the early rbt frames have provisions for either the vickers or sundstrand hydro but I don't think that the 7116 was one of them IIRC.

Try the tractor with the 6 soeed. My 7016 6 speed is my favorite tractor. It does not quite have the top ground speed that the 7013 (Vickers) has, but all around it is a very nice setup. I admire the simplicity of the 6 speed design. John U

You would be able to use the existing BGB, It just has a longer output shaft for the double pulleys. But you would have to change the entire transaxle, which has the brake/clutch on the right. You'd have a lot of linkage work. I dont know what you would have to do with the side plates, maybe very little. If you dont have the cooler, reservoir, and linkages for the Vickers I think it would be a "Major" project. I personnally like the Vickers hydro the best of all the transmissions Simplicity used and am interested what you find.

The 3300 series had vickers. They used the same hole in frame as the manual transmission. Which is the same as the manual on a 7100 series. The 3400 series has the same holes as the 3300 because they came out with the Sundstrand in the 7000 series. You would need the linkage but you must already have it. I think the Vickers is smoother than the Sundstrand. The Sundstrand just doesn`t have the issues that the Vickers has. The Sundstrand use the hole near the bottom of the frame. The BGB`s from the 3400 series to the last Sovereign made are the same.

I know the early 7000 series tractors were made with the Vickers; but these are quite rate. So that could make the swap easier. Ray is correct that the 7000 series did have Sunstrand. RIck......

Seveeral years ago(about 20) I bought a 917 Hydro frame hood and front axle only and installed a magnum 18hp along with a vickers hydro from a Homelite T-16. As i recall there were no major issues with the install and my uncle is still running the tractor today and still loves it. Dan