Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bevel Gear Housing

Landlord

What now? My Simplicity Landord 3410 garden tractor has an issue with the Bevel Gear Housing and it has become cost prohibitive to repair ($400-$500). The parts needed (bearings, gears, shaft) are available, but too expensive to consider. Otherwise, the tractor is in excellent running condition; however, the 42" mowing deck is pretty tired. I'm disappointed about having to scrap this tractor, due to this problem. Any ideas or suggestions? https://picasaweb.google.com/101179323519387229253/Simplicity?authkey=Gv1sRgCJbxr8ni6YaNVg#5659315684218672898

Thanks for this advice. The complication with utilizing a used gear box, like what I might find in the "classifieds" is that this part is rather labor intensive to install or remove. Somehow I would need to determine the condition of a used bevel gear assembly prior to purchase and the only real way I know to do this is to remove the cover and inspect the tolerances of shafts, gears and bearings.

I have changed them in two hours. You can find a used one on ebay and ebay has buyer protection. If it is junk they will refund your money.

I look further on eBay, as I had looked earlier today. Thanks for your input. I really don't want to part with this tractor. This machine illustrates a time when manufacturers actually built things of quality here in the U.S.

quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
put a add in the classifieds.
Echo above and Ray: split the machine and have it ready. Place a classified and buy from a member if you can who you can communicate w/. Fleabay is a resource, sometimes a good one.

quote:
Originally posted by gwiseman
quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
put a add in the classifieds.
Echo above and Ray: split the machine and have it ready. Place a classified and buy from a member if you can who you can communicate w/. Fleabay is a resource, sometimes a good one.
I was a little younger maybe 3 hour now. I have parted out alot of these. Alot. Remove right hand transmission plate and go at it or roll hydro unit out the back. Three linkages and a few bolts. I think SmilinSam said one time he could in less than two hours. Burntime, had some listed in the classifieds and I would send him a private message. I have two on the shelf for spares just not sure if I want to part with them and enough new parts to rebuild a couple. I will think about it though. I probably could put a used one together for you and you buy the new seals.

QUESTION; AREN'T ALL THE BGB's THE SAME? "LANDLORD" IF YOU GET ANOTHER BGB BE SURE TO SAVE/TRADE-IN/SELL THE OLD ONE, AS LONG AS THE CASE IS GOOD ITS REBUILDABLE BY SOMEBODY (like me...I'll take it..LOL) & YOUR TRACTORS WORTH SAVING. REMEMBER AN MTD MAY LAST 10 YRS A SIMPLICITY YOU'LL WILL TO YOUR KIDS... GOOD LUCK

quote:
Originally posted by brockway
What bevel gear box will fit that one Ray?I have one from a 2110 is that the same?
No it is not the same and no they are not all the same. On the FDT`s the variable speeds have a longer cross shaft. The Vickers and the straight 3 speeds are the same in the FTD`s. The BGB`s from the 3400 series to the last Sovereign made are the same. Hydros, shuttles and 6 speeds.

My local Simplicity dealer checked his graveyard inventory yesterday and the used gear boxes he found were sloppy from wear and would also need to be rebuilt, so no cost savings for me there. I'm still in limbo on what to do at the moment. My dealer tells me that if my mowing deck is in tough shape (which it is) putting $300-$400 into the machine wouldn't be wise, so I guess I tend to agree.

quote:
Originally posted by Landlord
My dealer tells me that if my mowing deck is in tough shape (which it is) putting $300-$400 into the machine wouldn't be wise, so I guess I tend to agree.
Would this be the same dealer that is trying to sell you a new machine?

10-4 thats good to know...thanks Ray all mine have been "6 speed or 3 speed vari or shuttles" that looked the same so I thought maybe they all were
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
quote:
Originally posted by brockway
What bevel gear box will fit that one Ray?I have one from a 2110 is that the same?
No it is not the same and no they are not all the same. On the FDT`s the variable speeds have a longer cross shaft. The Vickers and the straight 3 speeds are the same in the FTD`s.

Hey dere; On fleabay I had a purchase that was junk and they flat out refused to give me any satisfaction. So I was stuck . Period. Just my 2 cents. all the best

quote:
Originally posted by Horvik
Hey dere; On fleabay I had a purchase that was junk and they flat out refused to give me any satisfaction. So I was stuck . Period. Just my 2 cents. all the best
If you used Paypal or the guy stated it was in useable condition you could have filed a dispute with paypal and they would have evendiually refunded your money if they would have had to charge is credit card account. A good friend of mine last summer bought a 314H that the guy stated was rebuilt and in running condition. When we went to pick it up there was water in the tank from sitting outside for years. The battery was last century and it wouldn`t turn over with jumper cables. He filed a complaint with Paypal and ebay and after a month of the guy not responding ebay told him to take it to a local shop and have an estimate to fix it. The shop said it needed the engine rebuilt that it was a piece of junk. That it would be over a grand to fix. He sent the bill that stated the cost to repair and Paypal credited his account for the $300.00 he spent on the tractor.

To me,$400-$500 is alot but still worth spending to save the tractor. You said it runs good, Do you like it or have you wanted to change to another model? If you have "model specific" attachments that plays into it to...I think I would look for a C-List junker w/a bad engine or no engine for $100 to harvest parts from...good luck

Welcome to the club Gary. One thing you can depend on is these folks will help you a lot. They'll sell you parts, find you parts, or show you where to look for parts. I have two suggestions: 1. here's a link for searching the entire country craigslist at one shot: http://www.allofcraigs.com/ 2. Check with your local junk yards, salvage yards and you-pull-its. A club member told me there is one down here in PA that has a tractor graveyard. I haven't had to use it yet, but I can if I have to. Good luck, and have fun Bob