Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil Weight? B & S 10hp

otis3210V

I have had a couple different opinions on what weight motor oil to run in my 3210V 10hp Briggs... You all are my deciding vote. Thanks guys. Bob

Thanks guys! Otis sits in a barn, I don't use it much in the winter or below 0 so i will run 10w-30 Need to find some simplicity orange spray paint also, painting a yard cart. Any suggestions, throw them at me. Have a great day. B

i would use 30W oil if it is mostly used in summer conditions. and dupli-color chevy engine orange #1607 is a good match for the older simplicitys.

I run 10-30, winter and summer, in all my engines except the really old ones, which get straight 30 in summer and don't run in winter. It does use a bit of oil, but not much, and it is easier to just have one type of oil to store and handle. Steve

I have used Pennzoil 30 year round since my first tractor 64 Landlord. My 3314 I bought new in 1971 same oil. and others I have use same oil . I am amazed especially that the 3314 does not use oil after all these years ,Change every 25 to 30 hours

I have used 10-30 for years and as far as brand go's what ever is cheap ,been using Blains oil for about 3years a 12 jug case is about 15 bucks.

I use 10W-30 in all my engines year around. My 10 Hp B/S has not had anything but 10W-30 in it since I have had it. I don't use it below 0 degrees, because around here we never get a big snow when it is that cold.

I note some people are mentioning 30W oil. I realize that you probably mean weight, but a "W" after an oil viscosity indicates that it is a "Winter" rated oil. There is no 30W specs by either SAE or API. So much for the "Nazi" comments. The oils available when this engine was likely built were different than today. While a good dino 10w-30 will likely be fine, a good synthetic 5w-40 would provide better start-up lube (when most engine wear occurs) and a heavier film strength if there is any wear in your engine. A good synthetic oil will also withstand higher operating temps better------especially if you haven't taken the shrouds off your engine lately and cleaned the fins. I personally have been using Mobil 1 Turbo diesel 5w-40 oil in my air-cooled engines as well as most of my other engines. It is rated for gas engine use (SL and SM) as well as diesel engine usage.

quote:
Originally posted by 427435
The oils available when this engine was likely built were different than today. While a good dino 10w-30 will likely be fine, a good synthetic 5w-40 would provide better start-up lube (when most engine wear occurs) and a heavier film strength if there is any wear in your engine. A good synthetic oil will also withstand higher operating temps better------especially if you haven't taken the shrouds off your engine lately and cleaned the fins. I personally have been using Mobil 1 Turbo diesel 5w-40 oil in my air-cooled engines as well as most of my other engines. It is rated for gas engine use (SL and SM) as well as diesel engine usage.
I've been a synthetic oil guy for almost 20 years now in cars and trucks, but using the diesel synthetic oil in the old engines is a new idea for me. I like this, and I'm going to try it.

Now you got me thinking again. I use Amsoil in the cars, 5W-30 year round. I have thought about the Amsoil small engine oil but never did try it. Just might buy a bit and see how it works out. Steve

quote:
Originally posted by steve-wis
Now you got me thinking again. I use Amsoil in the cars, 5W-30 year round. I have thought about the Amsoil small engine oil but never did try it. Just might buy a bit and see how it works out. Steve
Check your Amsoil container for an API certification label------most of their products lack that. They are great at marketing------a "small engine" oil is a prime example. It's probably the same oil as goes in some of their other containers. Here's a link to the different Mobil 1 oils and the differences between them: [url]http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf[/url] You'll note that their Turbo Diesel oil is higher in zinc than most of the other oils------both theirs and other commonly marketed oils. That's good for flat tappet camshafts, bearings in general, and splash lubricated engines like a lot of air-cooled engines are. I've also used their 15w-50 oils in the commercial lawn mowers my sons used to work their way through college (20hp Kohler engines). When I pulled the heads at 1000 hrs to check for carbon (supposed to do it every 500 hours), the heads were clean and the hone marks were still visible in the cylinder bores. That is not the best oil to use, however, if you do some cold weather operation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Oil Recommendations for Briggs To optimize engine performance, (Disclaimer)(use Warranty Certified Briggs & Stratton Small Engine Oil). Briggs & Stratton offers a Synthetic 5W-30 oil that provides the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption. For optimum performance, you should change the oil in your small engine after the first five hours of use and then annually, or every 50 hours of use (whichever comes first). Use Briggs & Stratton SAE 30W Oil above 40°F (4°C) for all of our engines. Check oil level regularly. Air-cooled engines burn about an ounce of oil per cylinder, per hour. Fill to mark on dipstick. DO NOT OVERFILL. Oil Recommendation SAE 30 40°F and higher (5°C and higher) is good for all purpose use above 40°F, use below 40°F will cause hard starting. 10W-30 0 to 100 °F (-18 to 38 °C) is better for varying temperature conditions. This grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80°F(27°C) or higher. Synthetic 5W-30 -20 to 120 °F (-30 to 40 °C) provides the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption. 5W-30 40 °F and below (5 °C and below) is recommended for winter use, and works best in cold conditions. Type of oil to use Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher. Do not use special additives. Oil Recommendations For Kohler 10W-30 (Command Oil)(Disclaimer) is recommended for Command, Courage, Command PRO, Command PRO CS, Triad OHC, and Aegis engines for temperatures above freezing (32°F, 0°C). SAE-30 is an acceptable substitute if temperatures are above 50°F, 10°C. K-Series and Magnum engines should use SAE 30 (Magnum Oil) above freezing. 5W-20 or 5W-30 can be used in all engines when temperatures are below freezing. For more complete oil specifications refer to your owner's manual. For optimum performance, Kohler's special blend oils are available from your KOHLER dealer. Synthetic oils meeting the classifications listed in the owner's manual may be used, however oil changes still need to be performed at the recommended intervals. To allow the piston rings to seat properly, Kohler recommends operating a new or rebuilt engine for at least 50 hours on standard oil before switching to the synthetic oil. REGARDLESS OF OIL BRAND ALWAYS READ THE DONUT --------------------------------------------------------------------------------