Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

INFO NEEDED: Simplicity 7117 electric PTO

SLS

I am looking to add a front electric PTO to a Simplcity 7117. I have looked through all the previous posts and found a PTO for the Kohler KT-17 II engine referenced as a Warner 5215-140. After looking around on the net I found this number cross-referenced to a Craftsman part number 414737. The Craftsman part number produced more hits and I found the following link with the clutches at a considerably less cost: http://www.chalmersindustries.com/servlet/the-134/Craftsman-fdsh-AYP-fdsh-Sears-Husqvarna-fdsh-Poulan-Electric-Clutch/Detail Can anyone confirm that this is the correct clutch to use? My 7117 currently has no front PTO and I would like to add one for my snowblower. Also, anyone who has done this option how does the clutch mount to the engine block to keep it from spinning? I am sure I can fab something up if necessary, but since others have probably done this before I look forward to your knowledge. Thanks, Scott

Ray, thanks for your reply. The snowblower is already setup for a front PTO. Driving it directly from the crank at a slightly higher ratio (larger pulley diameter) will also increase the snowblower speed as a side benefit. Seems like a more direct/shorter path involving less stuff to wear out.

Scott, The 7117 is designed to run the blower off the mid PTO (as Ray suggested). The long belt is not a problem. I believe all you will need to do is alter the front hitch (position and angle of the pulleys) to get it to work. Others should be able to help with that. I think you will find altering the front hitch will be cheaper and easier than adding a front PTO. You could always change the pulley on the snowblower to alter to rotational speed of the blower. Others have changed the cogs used inside the blower to alter the rotational speed of the blower. Note if you alter the rotational speed of the blower you will need a stronger motor to throw the snow. I know some members have tried this with various degrees of success. Some liked it and some went back to the original pulley size. It seems to depend on the type of snow one receives. I get heavy wet snow so a faster rotational speed won't work for me. Good luck and welcome to the club. Rick........

I'm probably the one who's post you read about the Warner 5215-140 electric clutch. I found about about them when talking to Warner in 2003 for a replacement clutch for my A/C built Homelite. The 5215-142 clutch is for a 1 1/8" dia shaft and all the disscussion I had was about clutches for the old single cylinder Briggs and Kohler engines. I believe the 5215-140 would work on the single cylinder Kohler. I don't know if the Warner 5215-140 when mounted on a KT-17, the electric clutch pulley would line up correctly over the idler pulleys of the snowblower hitch. I have a drawing of the Warner 5215-140 electric PTO. It's too big to post. If you want a copy send me your email addie. Also, in 2003 Warner told me a cross reference part number is: PART#: 174605 ELECTROLUX HOME PRODUCTS (Sears stores) And finally, see this post (3/4 of the way down) about the "finger" I made to stop the clutch from rotating: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109463&SearchTerms=finger

I have been told over and over that the BGB is preferred to the front PTO. I have a electric front Pto on my beast sovy and have the old 7000 front pto hitch but never ran the blower from it. Even Al Eden told me that I would have more issues running the front pto. I thought about it as I have a 31hp in my sovy but the twists from the front pto belts jsut have more issues.......

quote:
Originally posted by hotrodtractor
I have been told over and over that the BGB is preferred to the front PTO. I have a electric front Pto on my beast sovy and have the old 7000 front pto hitch but never ran the blower from it. Even Al Eden told me that I would have more issues running the front pto. I thought about it as I have a 31hp in my sovy but the twists from the front pto belts jsut have more issues.......
I have been using a 7112 with a front PTO the snowblower (manual PTO) for 33 years now. I believe the elimination of the front PTO was more of a cost cutting consideration than any design or performance criteria. At worst I may have some alignment issues with the belt and post to keep the clutch from rotating that may need to be worked out or perhaps clearance issues with the exhaust. Doesn't seem like a big issue to address. About the only argument I can see for the mid PTO setup is that the longer belt may wear less over time since it would see less revolutions. With a quality v-belt this is probably more theoretical than any real world difference though.

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad Also, in 2003 Warner told me a cross reference part number is: PART#: 174605 ELECTROLUX HOME PRODUCTS (Sears stores)
This number has been replaced by the 414737 part number I found. If you have the CAD file for the Warner unit I would appreciate a copy. Thanks, Scott

to each there own, I have not tried front personally only going by experts. Agree I am sure some cost cutting may have influenced. I may just try it out this year.....;) http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117472&SearchTerms=pto the one I got for a command 1 1/8 shaft is #33-156

I am not aware of a Simplicity front PTO/clutch assembly that will mount to the twin KT series motors. There may be some aftermarket setup, but I am not aware of that either. To my knowledge, you can actually alter the two pulley bracket you have now, down to the one pulley bracket and run off the center. I am not sure how to do this, but I know it has been done. Mike, (Burntime) can assist. Not to mention, I think most of the electric cluthes aren't cheap, not by a long shot.

SLS, You have to send me your email addie. I can't send the dwg file via the Club email function since the file is too big to be an attachement (100k limit I believe). I have to send it direct to you. You can send me your email addie via the Club email or PM function.

I did some research and found an electric Warner PTO clutch that Cub Cadet uses on their 782 series tractors (which use Kohler KT-17 engine). The PTO assembly bolts right up to the engine casing. Pulley Diameter is 4-5/8, so it is very close to the mid PTO pulley size that Simplicity uses on the 71xx series. I will let everyone know the part numbers once I verify everything lines up. Heres to hoping this may be as simple as it appears! Scott

the clutchs that bolt up to the engine are inferior to the mag stop or one bolt style that sit on the shaft........ but best of luck.

quote:
Originally posted by hotrodtractor
the clutchs that bolt up to the engine are inferior to the mag stop or one bolt style that sit on the shaft........ but best of luck.
The clutch is the newer sealed type like you are referring to. The clutch assembly just has a mounting pad on the back that mates to the KT-17 engine instead of using a stud or "finger" to keep it from rotating. Looks like it will be pretty much plug and play except for running a fused and switched wire. Here is a link to a picture of the clutch: [url]http://www.psep.biz/images/mower%20parts/ELECTRIC%20CLUTCH%20STENS/255-427.jpg[/url]

Just a quick update. I purchased an electric clutch that Cub Cadet uses on their 782 series tractors (which use Kohler KT-17 engine). It bolted up to the block and the pulleys line up perfectly with the stock snowblower belt. The clutch assembly is a little shorter than the crankshaft and will need a spacer, but that is pretty simple. You can also disassemble the clutch assembly and install it without unbolting the engine. Scott

I had the sunstar 20hp magnum in my 7117. complete with iut's electric clutch. Did not work well for me. Hope you have better luck