Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
timflury

16hp Vertical Command fuel issue.

timflury
My dad has a late model Massey 2516. He's been having problems where it'll die after running for just a few minutes. I stopped by his place to take a quick peek. I pulled the air filter and it looked pretty clean. I have seen engines with a clogged air filters create a rich condition. I looked down the throat of the carb and I saw fuel in the bottom. I noticed that there is a small fuel pump on these. Could there be a sinking/sticking float and excess fuel being pumped into the carb?? We will be wrenching on this Saturday morning. I'm just looking for inputs as to what might be wrong so I'm not going in blind. I checked the oil level and it was ok and it didn't smell like gas.

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by timflury
What will the loose fuel cap test tell me Bob? I'll admit, I don't know much about the Kohler engines and how they do things.
That the vent is plugged and creating a vacuum in the fuel tank that the pump can't overcome.

timflury
That makes sense Bob. I'll pop it off and see if it is plugged. I just wonder why there's fuel puddled down in the throat of the carb. Keep your phone close in the morning, you never know, it might just ring....;)