Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
larry8200

The war on leaves.

larry8200
Used to just mulch them all in, but it really clogs and stunts the lawn come spring. Last year I found a sweeper I liked, and for half the price of the $300 wonder Home Depot had. My 3315V got promoted from the little trailer, and since this sweeper has a differential and drives off both wheels, it really screems going around corners. But 3rd with the variable worked nice. I still start with a good steel spring tine rake. Got a couple of blowers here somewhere... Still like the rake! Unfortunately it only took 20 minuites each on the mower and sweeper, have to slow this down somehow. :)

hotrodtractor
wow nice old sweeper....... the new ones just suck. I even sold my parker sweeper after a yr and just bought a trac vac. It's big enough I can vac my whole yard without dumping.

timflury
http://www.wikco.biz/GroomerSweeper.htm The Turf Groom sweepers are still made. They even sell a gang hitch to hook up three sweepers. Looks like the last sweeper you would ever have to buy.

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by timflury
http://www.wikco.biz/GroomerSweeper.htm The Turf Groom sweepers are still made. They even sell a gang hitch to hook up three sweepers. Looks like the last sweeper you would ever have to buy.
Yup, replacement parts too. They also have an incredible selection of other attachments too. Expensive, over $3500 for a set of 3 sweepers with the gang hitch

boox
I picked one of those sweepers up a few years ago that the previous owner had put out at the edge of the road and marked it FREE. At the time I thought it was a wheel horse attachment and I had a few of them around. Couldn't get it in my jeep fast enough. He threw in a new brush assembly with it...I just can't figure out how to get it to do a good job. Seems like it doesn't like to throw the clippings or leave high enough to get them into the hopper. Got any hints Larry? Boox

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by boox
.....I just can't figure out how to get it to do a good job. Seems like it doesn't like to throw the clippings or leave high enough to get them into the hopper. Got any hints Larry? Boox
I think these were designed to be pulled behind a small full size tractor at 8-10 mph... A little fast for anything here except the Powr'max. Also mine works best when the hopper has some weight in it. The hopper is a big lever and it doesn't take much when there is clippings and chopped leaves, but dry fluffy whole leaves fill it right up FAST without much weight. If the lawn isn't dry the wheels tend to skid a lot. Also since both wheels drive it with a ratcheting differential, the brush goes really fast on corners, so I run it on a hydro or variable flat out and slow down to 1/3-1/2 through turns, and lastly I keep the brush set about 1", its a pretty fine line between where it drags too much and doesn't pick up

Sign in to follow this