Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
gr-made

No spark after rebuild

gr-made
Hello everyone: I was so excited I finally got my engine rebuilt. The tractor is a 64 Landord. It has a B&S Horizontal shaft motor: 243431 0627-02 7605171. I put the engine back together this afternoon very carefully. After putting in the tractor I tried to fire it up, but no spark. I thought I may have had a problem with the lead coming off of the condensor but that was ok. I also put in a new set of point s to no avail. I have no spark at either the points or the plug. Does anyone know what I should try to do? On another note I checked the compression and it is only reading 20 pounds. Is this common on a rebuild prior to the rings setting? Thanks, GR-Made

powermax_paul
Hi, Check your armature it might have a bad wire. You will have to pull motor back out to do this. Check the wires coming from the armature to the points, and check the plug wire.

carter
Eric, Agree with the spark discussion above. If the engine has been sitting a while put some oil down the plug hole and re check the compression. 20 is a bit low even for a new rebuild if the bore piston and rings are all new. Ron

dymondclay
Hey there, I wouldn't worry too much about the compression as most of these older Briggs engines had "Easy Spin Starting" which was as I recall, a compression release setup that worked when the engine was being turned over at starting speed. Find out why you don't have spark and only worry about the compression if you still have a problem after you have spark. Good luck Clayton