Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Hribar

Winter storage

Ronald Hribar
Getting ready to put stuff away for winter in the past I always ran most of the gas out, then puta heavy oil/gas mix in to run until it stoppedv and dumped rest out This year , I was going to run a heavy stabil mix thru it Was told when i bought stabil that I should be running it year round as gas only has 14 day shelf life My local small engine shop sells gas and premixed gas from Stihl I think Very expensive, but was told equipment starts up after storage just like you ran it yesterday I had to replace carburetor on Mantis tiller this spring, becuse I was unable to put stuff away last fall becuse of back do not want same problem next spring

hotrodtractor
Ron just drive the 15min out by me the 93 premium is no ethonol "good ole gas". I have heard mixed things about stabil I just run things out of gas to be safe..... if I have to keep gas in it I do run the stabil.

bowhunt4life
I was told not to run my metal gas tanks out of fuel as that promotes condensation and rust. For my metal tanks it was recommended I keep full during winter and add seafoam which also is a fuel stablizer. My plastic tanks I run dry, such as my weed trimmer and my Crapsman lawn mower.

timflury
quote:
Originally posted by bowhunt4life
I was told not to run my metal gas tanks out of fuel as that promotes condensation and rust. For my metal tanks it was recommended I keep full during winter and add seafoam which also is a fuel stablizer. My plastic tanks I run dry, such as my weed trimmer and my Crapsman lawn mower.
I do the same. I also drain all the carbs by running them with the fuel turned off. Condensation will form in ALL fuel tanks in the air space. The smaller that space, the less moisture.