Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7790 found its way to me with a Simplicity Bucket!

Burntime

Picked up a rough running 7790. It blows smoke like a dragon but it seems to run decent. Wondering if its injectors or the pump was set wrong. Time will tell. It also had a simplicity bucket and a front/rear tow hitch as well as the rear lift and a froze 48 inch deck. Worst case scenario is it will be a parts machine but I am going to tinker with it some....
[img]/club2/attach/Burntime/2.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Burntime/4.jpg[/img]

Whats with this fall? This Simplicity stuff is coming out of the woodwork all over. Theres a 917 in the Peoria Craigslist with another bucket like yours on it for $600, no mower deck, just the bucket & tractor.

Here is a video of the puffer... The guy said the injectors were rebuilt. I let it run for 15 minutes today and it smoothed out better then the video, it still is keeping the skeeters away though! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVSPyANotIY

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Here is a video of the puffer... The guy said the injectors were rebuilt. I let it run for 15 minutes today and it smoothed out better then the video, it still is keeping the skeeters away though! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVSPyANotIY
Did you have anybody in mind to view it? It says for private viewing only.?

:O Mike, After viewing the video my guess as to the smoking would be; engine has been very hot at some point and oil control rings have lost some of their tension. Or the drain holes behind the rings are plugged and oil is bypassing there; or oil control rings are partially seized in their grooves and can't seal tightly to cylinder wall. Compression rings seem OK as engine runs fairly well. IMHO. Dave.

Bob called it wet stacking. Said use it under a big load and it may clear up... It ran for 10th minutes and it is running a little better now...

Not sure about that puffer but whoa---I'm a bucket lover and that one's got the look. Cool (foggy but cool).

After watching the video, I think we are in the same boat. Mine smokes like that as well. Not all the time, and like you said, it clears up after a long running, but im usually just cruising around the yard or a show, so it doesnt get used at high idle often. I think that is another reason for the build up. I also like Daves theorys

Mike, here is a picture of the air tube that goes to the air cleaner that you requested. You probably could pick up something up off ebay for the tube or Menards. Just measure the diameter at the air cleaner.

Here is the three Sovereigns - 900 series types. All running. The diesel doesn`t smoke other than just burning fuel.

I agree after moving the Deutz and 917H Honda conversion with power steering added is much nicer steering. I believe I will put the extra power steering unit in the diesel. Run the diesel at wide open throttle for a while. The owners manuals states to do so at start up. If you have to rering it 427435 stated he done his and it wasn`t that bad. I would difinitely take the air shrouds off and give it a cleaning before I put it under much of a load. The previous owner probably never done it.

Well I need to get the starter cleaned up so it engauges all the time but I can see that the fins are packed.... Its either re-ring or parts for the next diesel... I already put a pm out to the mobile shop to see if they would like to play over the winter!:D We shall see. I have never dug into a motor especially a diesel this far. Going to have to go over the manual some...

They sell that tubing at J C Whitney.It is defroster duct.They have 2 21/4 21/2 and 3 inch 4ft long piece for $20.Probably can find it cheaper online or Ebay Bill