Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lawnmower adjustments

landlord2110

I have the original 42" deck for my landlord & the only maintiance done on it is new rollers and shaft. The arbor are ok considering there 43 yrs old. My problem is when you mow, the grass rolls back like your going to fast, but I have tried in second & third gear and no difference. The height of the leading blade is 2 3/4" height and trailing height is 2 1/2". The blades are sharp. One concern I have is the front rocker arms, the pin hole is worn from years of use, but not sure of that gives you the grass roll up effect after mowing.

From what I have read (someone correct me if I am wrong), the leading edge is supposed to be higher. That way the front of the blade is not doing all the cutting. Some here have made a jig so you can remove the deck and adjust it while it is off the tractor.

Make sure you didn't make the same mistake I and several others have made by twisting the belt the wrong way when you put it on the deck pulley. This turns the blades the wrong way. It will cut, but not smooth like it should. If I remember correctly mine looked bent over when I used it with the belt twisted the wrong way.

Yes the rocker arms are influencial on bounce of cut. Good news is they are replaceable bushings once you unbolt them. Less slop the better but it does have to pivot a little bit to allow adjustment. I redid that on my 42" 3 years ago and it made a bit difference on the bumpy yards.

The bushings are what the bolt tightens to and the rockers ride on them. I believe it is the same bushing used in the side to side tie rod for steering the front wheels. Not pricey or hard to come by if you take one apart and go to the hardware store.

Looking at my manual for my deck, are you talking about the part# 154304(Yoke end, Adjusting) or the part# 108228 (Rocker Arm)?

The bushing - spacer is L on page 4. That is the wear item. The manual is in the link below. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8arG1rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq