Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

24 hp onan performer in a allis 720

ka9bxg

Has anybody put a 24 hp performer in a allis 720 I can get a new engine for $1500.My engine smokes and I would like to install the larger engine.But it has a down draft carb. rather than the side draft.If it fits what modes do you have to do.Bob

Base plate is majorly different as it has shorter depth to cylinders. It can be done with an engine addapter plate to raise the engine but the rear pto won't work and you must use longer non-oem belts to drive the deck and tranny. The other option is to chop out the side frame rails to lower the engine. Obviously this has it's own set of drawbacks.

The 4040 I unfortunately bought a number of yers ago had one in it. I ended up junking the tractor out and selling parts. I remember they had cut notches in the sides of the frame for the jugs to sit down in. They also had drilled new mount holes, but when I got it there was only one bolt left holding the engine inXX(sm008

Thanks for all the information .Looks like I need to find someone to rebuild the engine that is in it.It is a little down on power and smokes a little.Thanks Bob