Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1960 Simplicity 700 axle seal replacement

moparharn

I ordered a new left side seal and tube type bearing for my tactor this morning. I think the tube bearing has pushed itself out through the seal and made the opening look like there is no seal at all. Tried to tap it back inward to reveal the seal, but it only went in a little bit. Does the seal pry off from the outside, or do I have to go into the opening and pull it out from the inside? Could something have gone wrong in the trans to push the bearing out? I will attach a picture of what I am looking at and would appreciate any advice. Thanks. Bill

The seal replaces from the outside. The old one can be removed by screwing a small sheet metal screw into it and pulling on that with a pry bar. As to the bearing, only thing that comes to mind is extreme wear. Is there a lot of play in the axle, ie up and down?

I have not noticed any excessive play in the axle. If I put a screw in the side of the seal, it will like go into the bearing as well because the bearing is out all the way to the end of the seal. I guess since I have ordered a new bearing I might as well not worry about tearing up the current bearing. Bill

Does this look like the bearing has pulled out flush with the seal, or is the seal missing? Before I tear up the silver ring (seal?) it would be nice to know what I am looking at. Thanks for the help. Bill

Well that silver ring is the axle tube that goes through the trans and spins with the other side. So I can assume that the seal is completely missing. If the seal presses inside the tube, the bearing is going to be in the way. If it goes over the tube, I am going to have to clean the tube up from grabbing it with pliers and picking at it. Bill

I've only done the right side on my 7010 so I'm not sure what that is...It looks like thats the inner bearing race with a collar on it, but then how does it seal against the axle shaft? I'm at work tonite, when I get home I'll check a few tractors to see if any of mine look similar. It looks to me like you have a seal (the 2nd ring from the outside?) and the axle shaft makes an oil tight seal against inner race (maybe a brass bushing to seal the axle to the race).? Have you looked at an exploded view yet to ID the parts? Any Trans rebuilders out there?? I'm still a bit green on Trans

Ok Looks like you have an aftermarket seal with a metal body. Most of these seals are rubber coated. You'll need to carefully drill a small hole in the metal portion of the seal body, use a small sheet metal screw and thread it into the hole, when the screw is secure use a pair of pliers and pull on the screw to remove the seal.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/trans seal detail.jpg[/img]
Greg, the early tractors, (700,725 and B1) used a short axle tube, that stuck out from the transmission only on the diff side. What's in the photo is a view of the left side of the transmission and seal.

I just came in from the garage to explain that I figured this out. Thank you for pointing this out for me. I am assuming that the bearing seals the axle shaft, and the seal takes care of the axle tube. Should I replace the bearing while I am doing this? How do I get the old bearing out of the tube? If the right side seal goes out sometime, I will have to remove the differential to run the seal over the tube. Will the diff come right off or will it have to be disassembled? Thanks again for all of the great help. Bill

Bill, to remove the bearing you'll need to tear down the transmission. The bearing on these models is a bronze alloy bushing which should not need replacing unless it is worn badly, in which I'd be replacing both left and right bushings,axle seals as well all the other seals in the transmission. Yes the diff will need to come off the axle tube to replace the right seal,but your already more than halfway there and I'd go ahead and replace it since your this far into it assuming that you're not going to preplace the bushings.

Thanks Reed...you-da-man. I was close..what I thought was an inner race is the axle tube. and does the brass bushing form an oil seal between the tube and axle shaft? if so I see why these always seem to seep a little bit of 90w oil over time

quote:
Originally posted by GLPointon
Thanks Reed...you-da-man. I was close..what I thought was an inner race is the axle tube. and does the brass bushing form an oil seal between the tube and axle shaft? if so I see why these always seem to seep a little bit of 90w oil over time
I'm no expert but my guess would be there should be no oil between the tube and shaft. That area would have grease from the grease fitting behind the differential. The bronze bushing will act as a seal for grease. Old worn out melted grease may appear as 90 weight seeping around the shaft. JMO