Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
chuckdog

Rear end questions

chuckdog
Is the rear end in a 912H the same as the rear end in a 918H? My dad's 918 has a horrible leak, and we have a rear end out of a 912 that is sitting here, that he thinks is good and doesn't leak. Just want to make sure they're the same before we start tearing into things.

chuckdog
From what I could see when I was over there last night, it looks like it is coming out of the two halves on the bottom right side. So I think the gasket in between there is shot and will need to be fixed. Another question, the hydraulic fluid my dad's puts in from the local Simplicity dealer is 7.50 a quart. Is there something else that will work in there that isn't so expensive? That's most of the reason that he wants to fix it, as it's leaking too much and costing him too much money in fluid!! LOL

Brettw
I would thouroghly clean the trans and look closely for where the leak is. It may very well be a seal and appear to be leaking at he halves. If it is a seal, I replaced one for about 11 bux and it took a very short period of time. Dextron II or Type F trans fluid will work ofr your fluid. Much cheaper.