Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

NOS 48" A/C Homelite Deck

PhanDad

I'm now the owner of this NOS 48" Allis built Homelite deck:

For its first 35+ years it was a 48" Allis 300 deck:

I picked it up a couple months ago from north Jersey. The hard part of the conversion was bending the offsets in the front hitch. It took two sessions to get it right. The bottom is painted with EZ Slide. I've had some success with EZ Slide on my refurbished GTHL deck; it does wear off with time, but until it does, wet grass doesn't stick as much. And now I know why the arbor area and other small locations rust more than the majority of the deck shell. The entire deck shell isn't painted:

quote:
Originally posted by dads707
Bill, you aren't actually going to mow with that, are you???
He wouldn't dare! The folks from the Smithsonian are on their way for it!! :) Bill, that's just incredible! Truly stunning right to the last detail dOddOddOd

Thanks for the compliments guys. Not too bad for a rattle can job by a poor painter.
quote:
Originally posted by Chris727 Would love to find one for my 416.
There was a second one available in June when I listed the Craigslist ad for 4 NOS A/C decks in the eBay forum:

As you can see, it's not 100%. Phone number was 973-945-9949. At the time I picked mine up, he had one of the left discharge deep decks sold, the other left discharge almost sold, but no other interest in the right discharge decks.
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200 did you use a brake or just a vice? Heat?
Lot's of heat, a vice, small pieces of plate to clamp against, hammers, crescent wrench for prying, etc. I almost gave up and was going to use an old hitch - but the mounting holes waller out and all 6 of them would have had to be repaired. It's amazing how "tight" the new deck is compared to my existing deck. And I will mow with it, but probably not until next summer. It's so late in the season now, no need to get it dirty. I mow lower in the spring and fall so the Sovereign deck works fine. This deck mows higher (up to 4+"), that's why it's my main mowing deck. But the "itch" to use it is there. I'll definitely have to hook it up and set up the front/back and side to side clearances.

Great job Bill. I really like the height adjust system on there. Plus I see they made the belt covers fit to leave on, raised up so one can clean out under them.

Very cool...I'm green with envy sm06 My 410 has same deck (but not yet restored) I love the height adjuster on those.......CONGRATS

• Who's Online (See full list)

• maxwood
    • gwiseman
    • PGL
    • andrew68
    • BLT
    • bradperc
    • AC710
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts