Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

32in. tiller

bgosh

I had to take my tiller apart as for some reason the tines stopped turning and acted like they were jammed up. After taking it apart I did not find anything wrong other then maybe the chain to the tine shaft may have come off.Now as I am putting it back together I find that the large chain to the tine shaft seems awful loose.Is there someway to adjust this to tighten that chain? Also should those chains and sprockets be sprayed with an open gear lube? Bearings are in good shape although I could use what I think is a dust shield on the left side,it was just a thin and torn piece of tin when I took it apart.I was not able to find that in parts list for a part number so if anyone could point me in the right direction to get a new one, would be great.Thank You Stan

Actually that is what my first thought was. Is there a repair manual out there as to do the work on these and tell what that chain length should be? Stan

Just went over to Jacks and found out that chain is available for more then I would like to spend.The description was this 50 roller chain 27.5.What does this mean and if 27.5 is the length,how is it measured?Center line,outside or inside dimension? Thank you Stan

Reminds me of my days as a nooby in the world of dirt bike. Same situation - chain stretch w worn sprocket teeth. and original chain had no breakable link. so no way to remove a link to tighten it up!! What I am suggesting - can you grab a chain with a link to set length-links to fit your tired sprockets, and just run those into the ground, cos they are going down anyway. or you can replace both. I had to do both on my bike cos the chain was a freak-size that was unavailable (proprietary). And that was the only real solution for relatively high speed riding scenario anyway. But tillers are like life in slow motion - so just make it work. just my thoughts on the highly abusive world of tillers. Fixing it right is the other option. If you can see the sprocket teeth, they should be symmetrical; if they are C-shaped, you lose. The problem is these metal pieces work together, and a worn "one" will shape the other. It depends on the teeth.

The first thing I did was Google Chain and I got what I needed to know and then reading about farm supply I then went to Fleet Farm(Thanks BoB)and I bought some chain.I had to buy 10ft so now if anyone needs some at a cheap price and shipping.I then took the e old one apart and placed it along the new one and it was about 5/8'longer.The sprockets did not look to bad so I did not replace them and now it is back to working like it should.One more thing Fleet Farm also has the bearings and the price I paid for this was not to bad.Thank You all for your help Stan

I had to replace all the chain in my tiller, I too got away with just replacing the chain. Works better now than whe I first bought it.