Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

proper height for landlord deck

landlord2110

If you have the height adjustors like on mine, usually lower heights are easily achieved. I like taller mowing heights, and that's not so easy - I managed to max out my 48 on my 716 at near 3". One issue is rollers wear down, and inner roller holes wear on the bar. So, lower is easier with age. Some folks replace rollers and bar - boat trailer rollers are workable for this,, and the replace will yield close to a 1/2" height increase. That's on my future agenda. I would like a mow ht of 3 1/2" for a more powerful lawn. (more photosynthesis + soil shading). (My Simplicity Pacer mower will do 4"; but that's a suspended deck on a walkbehind hydro, and uses a crank adjustment - too easy). But, yes, most manuals say set front tip 1/4"ish higher. See "Deck Leveling" in any manual. and that's with the blades aligned pointing front to back. Side-to-side s'b equal(ish), with blades turned to a left-right config. A deck that's way out of level yields a lawn with steps and other strange patterns. A level deck yields one smooth set of stripes. sm01. Deck leveling is often overlooked; but the results are visible.

I replaced rollers & rod three years ago and just replaced rocker arms & spacer that was worn out after 43 years of use. Before I replaced these parts, I had a front leading edge height of 2 1/2". Now it is 3 3/8" and have yet to try it because of the rain. I was fortunate to find used rocker arms & spacer for the yoke in great condition for $10 total both sets. Thats why I posted this to find out how high the blades should be.

One thing to watch when increasing mowing height. Is the belt alignment. It is very easy to mess that up and belts are not cheap