Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repairing Flat Tires..............

LesH

What methods are best for repairing lawn and garden tractor tires?? Punctures in the tread area on a tubeless tire. Inside patch or plug or ??? Kit recommendations??? Thanks for any guidance.

I like the patch altho it's more work. I've talked to people that have good luck with the green snot to stop lesks. I've used plugs before but a couple times they don't seal right away and I had to redo them.

Patch is the preferred method IMO a lot depends on the condition of the tire in question. I find that the older the tire the less likely it will hold a bead. I've had several that have defied my every effort to seal them to the rim after repair and found that tubes were the only way out! Slime is ok for slow leaks but what a mess that is if you ever have to dismount them afterwards. The inflate and seal type of cans can be very dangerous as some can contain propane as the propellant! Those are always a last ditch use and anyone working on a tire with that stuff it should be aware of it!

Guess I am old school, I have been tubing all the tires I mount. No problem seating the bead, easy to patch if I pick up a nail or something, and the tubes are pretty cheap. JMHO Steve

I'm with tubes, easy to install, no problem seating the bead, and no worries about future slow leaks from checking or bead problems. I've never considered patching a tractor tire.

If one of my tubeless tires goes flat and won't hold air, then I install a tube. If it was a slow leak, then I would try slime before going to the trouble of installing a tube.

quote:
Originally posted by acfarmer
I've found that dishwashing liquid
HUH ?. never herd of useing that. i use the good Tech brand rubber plugs or tube them.

What's the cost difference between a patch kit and a tube? I won't use any liquid sealer in my tires. I the tire is weather cracked, I would most certainly throw a tube in it. Unless of course I found a replacement tire.

I use plugs on my kids four wheeler tires. A couple of things to remember about some plugs: 1. Most are self-vulcanizing. 2. Some or most are designed for automobile use. These go hand in hand, as they rely on the heat generated in the tire while driving to self-vulcanize. Since the kids fourwheeler tires never see heat, I simply use a heat gun and add my own heat to the plug and tire area after installing the plug and haven't had it leak yet.