Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tripleguy

Compression on Briggs and Kohler

tripleguy
Compression question - I have a Briggs 16 hp twin in a 5216 and compression is right around 100. I think it should be 125 or so but do I have anything to worry about if I'm only at 100? Might be time for rings? On a realted note - my 18 Kohler Command is at 150. I'm assuming that's pretty good for that engine. Thoughts either way?

tripleguy
Thanks Willy. My Briggs has a hot start issue. Just today my wife was cutting with it and got off the seat with the hydro out of neutral. Of course it shut off and it wouldn't start up. It will start if it sits for a couple hours though. I checked compression to rule out rings so next is carb and fuel issues (ignition module was just changed). As for the Kohler, I checked it while I had the tester out and was surprised at the high reading. Don't know if they are known for running strong comp. but this one is a '92 so I'm happy.

therocket
I thought Briggs Cast Iron singles generally were 120psi new and 80psi just plain worn out and in need of attention. I've had a Briggs 10hp(243431) that had 100psi and ran great for hours and hours at a clip plowing snow. I'm not sure about the Briggs Twin. If it runs great and doesn't smoke I wouldn't worry about the compression. I would just run the heck out of it and have fun.