Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GWGAllisfan

7100 briggs conversion questions

GWGAllisfan
Engine fitment question I have a 7112 with a dead Kohler engine. I was thinking I would replace it with a 16 horse briggs I have, but after doing some measuring I have some concerns. The Oil pan on the briggs has the oil filler/ level check on the side of the pan. This makes it too wide to fit the frame of the 7112. Is there a different pan for the later ones? If so how does the oil fill? Can mine be converted, or should I just try to find a different engine? What's the story here? I know many of you have done a conversion, so Maybe I'm missing something

RayS

Does your block have the two spots machined that I have circled in the pictures? The bottom one would have a pipe plug and the top would have an oil fill cap in the hole. I have drilled and threaded the bottom one a couple years ago for a friend and changed the pan. You could also notch the frame or heat that area up and bend it out.

Allis_HB112
I have an oil pan from a B&S 300424 12 hp engine from a sod cutter. I replaced it with a 300421 tractor pan. If it fits your 16 hp, it has the oil drain out the front, if that would help any. Not sure it would, but you can have it for shipping cost. This engine also has the dipstick tube for filling, which is the top red circle in the pick above.

PhanDad
If the 7112 frame is cut down as in the pic above (cut is for a Kohler KT17), then the above pictured oil drain/fill will just fit using the stock holes in the frame for the Briggs. It might fit even if the frame isn't cut, I don't remember if the side of the fill is below the cut and the tractor isn't here to take a look. When I did my conversion, I had to reverse the oil pan so the drain/fill was to the right as shown above. The stock engine from a 3416 tractor looks like this:

It has the lower feature Ray wrote about above and a pan that only has a drain outlet. You can also use the pan that just has a drain outlet with the upper circled port in Ray's pic above to use as an oil fill. Or, through that upper port, you can add the dipstick and fill through that (no pic available atm).

GWGAllisfan
Ok now I see the problem I have more clearly. Mine has the oil fill on the pan and not up on the block. That difference in height and angle is what makes it hit. I put this block in the frame of the 7119 I scrapped this summer and even it required a slight hammer massage of the frame to fit. So i guess my options are to try to drill and tap this block at that angled spot and find another oil pan, or try to find a top oil fill 16HP and save this one for one of the FDT machines. There's actually more issues with this engine, the starter looks like the cable connection won't clear the frame either.

HubbardRA
Randy, You can modify the frame to allow for that oil fill and drain. I had to do some modifying to my 7116H frame for the CH0730 to fit into it. I also was stupid and installed an engine into a 700 series chassis with the fill on the wrong side. I cut that frame to allow for it. Been using that one for many years with no problems. A notch, or a hole in the frame is not bad, as long as you do not cut over about of the material away. Remember that directly below the engine is the massive mounting plate which also beefs up the frame in that area.

mike_sdak
I put a 16 hp briggs single in my 917, last year. I needed to swap my oil pan around, in order to make it fit, so now the filler pipe is on the driver's right side. It was tight, but I didn't need to modify the frame or drill any holes. I can post pics if it helps any,

HubbardRA
Randy, I just did some measuring. The width between the sides of the frame where the engine sits on a 7013 is 12.75. The width on my 7116 chassis is 13.5. The depth on both frames from top of frame to cradle where the engine sits is 4 inches. As long as you have the oil pan mounted with the dipstick tube to the driver's right, it should fit. If the dipstick tube is on the other side, just turn the oil pan around. The 13Hp engine in the 7013 has the same oil pan as the older style 16Hp. You should not have to convert to the upper dipstick to install an engine in that 7112 chassis, since it should be identical to my 7116 chassis. All of the 7100 chassis should be essentially the same except the 7117 which has the sides of the chassis cut down to clear the cylinders on the twin cylinder engine.

B.Ikard
Randy, I have the drill and 3/4-16 tap for mounting the dipstick on the back of the block-if you decide to go that route. Had to do that a while back onone of my 16's. Brent

RayS
For the hole near bottom of block on the 45 degree I used 3/8-18 NPTF and a 37/64" drill for tapered pipe. It is about 1/2" thick there. Here is the dipstck. I believe the pipe is 4" long, but could measure. Hardware store item. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-dipstick-297357-/220520108748?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335805d2cc Here is the one for at the top of Block. In mine a 3/4-10 tap fits not sure if Brent meant that instead of a 3/4-16 fine thread. The drill would be a 21/32". http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-and-stratton-16-HP-Dip-stick-tube-326437-/110705511195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c6900b1b http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Briggs-Stratton-Oil-DipStick-Tube-Seal-281370-23-/150553349638?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230dadce06 oil pan http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAVELY-8163-B-BRIGGS-CAST-IRON-16HP-OIL-PAN-/150678668279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23152603f7 http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Briggs-Model-304431-Hor-Shaft-Engine-Oil-Pan-Alum-/110738402280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c885ebe8

Allis_HB112
My oil pan/base you can have is like the Gravely one above. The brass pipe fitting shows the drain location.
[img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff261/rocknss04/Allis%20Chalmers%20HB112/DSCF3333.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff261/rocknss04/Allis%20Chalmers%20HB112/DSCF3334.jpg[/img]
That came off the 12hp engine I just got from a sod cutter. Here it is showing the dipstick instead of the fill plug:
[img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff261/rocknss04/Allis%20Chalmers%20HB112/DSCF3326.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff261/rocknss04/Allis%20Chalmers%20HB112/DSCF3327.jpg[/img]
This shows the pan that's going on it vs. the one on it (backwards) but without the drain on the side:
[img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff261/rocknss04/Allis%20Chalmers%20HB112/DSCF3331.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff261/rocknss04/Allis%20Chalmers%20HB112/DSCF3330.jpg[/img]

JohnFornaro
Interesting discussion above. I had no idea there was so much variety in the oil pans. I put an elbow into the drain plug of my 7116, to direct the oil straight down, rather than blort all over the frame. But I like that oil pan with the drain on the front. Are those available? My oil pan gasket leaks like heck, and eventually, I need to yank the engine and replace it.

Allis_HB112
quote:
Originally posted by JohnFornaro
Interesting discussion above. I had no idea there was so much variety in the oil pans. I put an elbow into the drain plug of my 7116, to direct the oil straight down, rather than blort all over the frame. But I like that oil pan with the drain on the front. Are those available? My oil pan gasket leaks like heck, and eventually, I need to yank the engine and replace it.
If you are referring to the pan I have available, it's from a 12hp model 300424, but I'm not sure of the type right now. It was on a sod cutter, and I'm told it was a '62, but I haven't verified that. It appears the same as the Gravely pan in the ebay ad above also, which is where this pan is headed next week along with a few other items. I'll know this weekend whether or not the dipstick fits under the hood of my HB-112. That engine had no oil fill cap. Oil was added thru the dipstick tube.

rokon2813
quote:
I'll know this weekend whether or not the dipstick fits under the hood of my HB-112. That engine had no oil fill cap. Oil was added thru the dipstick tube.
I put a dipstick engine in my B 12. The grill frame sets down on top of the dipstick tube so the dipstick handle won't fit. I just used the original oil pan, and covered the dipstick tube. Not sure if the grill frame alignment will be different enough in a 112, but I think not.

HubbardRA
One more post. I was just outside and happened to take a look at my 716H. Well, I now know that it has the oil pan that has the protruding oil fill and drain. It has a nice notch to let that part of the pan stick through the frame. I worried about that when I did it, and even kept an extra frame laying around in case this frame started to bend. I have towed very heavy trailers with this, drug telephone poles, pulled a moldboard plow, driven a snowblower, pushed a 48 inch spring-trip blade, and even mowed my lawn for 5 years with this tractor. No moving or bending of the frame. No problems at all. I wasn't even thinking about this tractor in my previous posts. Just happened to be working around it and saw the cutout which jogged my memory. Also, in order to have this work successfully so that the fill cap can be removed easily, the oil pan needs to be mounted with this fill/drain mounted on the driver's left side behind the drag link as can be seen in this picture. That will push it far enough through the frame so the cap can be removed, without the need to make the frame hole huge. If you are worried about doing this on the thinner 7100 frame, then it can be beefed up with a piece of flat bar just above the cutout. The engine mount beefs up the lower part of the frame.

merlinct7
I'm assuming GWGAllisFan's issue is that the 7112 frame is not notched for the oil filler. Here's a pic of my 17GTH-L with a Briggs 16 s/g engine. Plenty of room for the oil filler:

Contrast that with the frame on my 7112. The frame would definitely interfere with the filler on the Briggs:

Either the dipstick Ray shows or a notch in the frame works.... Bob

HubbardRA
Bob, I think Randy has an engine with the oil filler built into the oil pan as shown in pictures above. This is also the type I had on my 716H and the reason I cut the hole in the frame pictured above also. Your engine has the filler mounted in the lower portion of the engine block, not on the oil pan.