Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stripes (dial up warning)

Chuck_Woolery

Chuck_Woolery
I was browsing through some pictures and found some from this summer after mowing the lawn. Now it's completely covered in leaves. :( These were made with my little 1644 ZTR, which ironically has the same deck as my Landlord DLX, but cuts and stripes 10x better. The last picture also shows how the position of the picture affects the look of the stripes. Front Yard

Back Yard

Another Back Yard

My Favorite, except for the dead patch on the right next the shed.

Another shot of the back, this time from the patio showing how the positioning affects how the stripes look.

Nice job. Hope all are doing well at your house, and I read you did get that Zero turn. Faster by a bunch? 6216 getting ready for another winter workout again. Thanks for sharing the photos. Wish my grass would look as good. Perhaps next spring will try some photos. ;)

Spectacular! I was thinking the Zero turns did not have the rear rollers, only two wheels? Looks great, grass must have been short or you're bagging as there's no visible residue (clippings), thats what always obscures my stripes.

Those are awesome stripes! Not sure exactly why some seem to stripe better than others. A few thoughts were: condition of grass, wet or dry, etc., condition of rollers on the deck, how well the deck is leveled, what kind of grass the lawn is seeded with. Maybe all have something to do with it, but whatever it is, you sure found the right combination! Steve

oh man!!!! I spend soooo much money trying to get stripes like those! If only my wife would let me cut down some trees!

Chuck_Woolery
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Didn't know any of the ZTR's made stripes. How about a picture of the rig that made them beauties.
I'll have to dig some up or take some new ones. To answer a couple of questions. I specifically bought the older Simplicity ZT1644 series cause it can still be had with full rollers and a "semi" floating deck. I had to modify it a little to make it a true floater, but it works just fine in my yard. All the newer ZTR's have the hanging deck with a spring loaded roller on the back, I didn't want that. I have a mulcher for it, but don't use it as it cuts the clippings up nice and fine, so I just let them blow. No bagger either, I just keep after the mowing. And my grass is......well crap, I just keep after it. Slowly but surely it'll get there.

Chuck_Woolery
quote:
Originally posted by JohnMBerst
Nice job. Hope all are doing well at your house, and I read you did get that Zero turn. Faster by a bunch? 6216 getting ready for another winter workout again. Thanks for sharing the photos. Wish my grass would look as good. Perhaps next spring will try some photos. ;)
Thanks John. Yup everything is going good here. The 6216 is still running strong, but now the neighbor is using it at his land. I have a plan for it when he's done with it, but that all depends on how long he needs it yet. The ZTR definitely cuts down on the cutting time some, but I tend to slow down a little bit more cause my yard is getting rougher every year. All in all I can hold a faster ground speed with the Landlord cause it's heavier and doesn't shake my fillings out as bad, but I can definitely turn around faster and don't need to trim with the ZTR. In the end I'm a couple minutes faster with the ZTR only cause I have to slow down on the rough spots. When I finally smooth my yard out and can go full bore with it I'll definitely cut a good half hour out of my mowing time. Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Sounds like you just need to roll it out after a long, soaking rain. Them stripes look good!dOd I just might have to do a chris cross pattern on my lawn now.