Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ken

Need a little help with a 7016

Ken
I picked up a 7016 today that the owner was in the midst of working on and lost interest. The positve battery cable is missing. does the cable go to one side of the solenoid and a small wire off the postive terminal of the battery to the back of the ignition switch? My ignition switch has five terminals and one of the terminals is empty. I looked for a diagram and I couldn't find one. I also need a new ignition switch, (this one is real crusty with a busted terminal) do I need to get one from a dealer or will any 5 prong switch from tractor supply work? Thanks for any help!

DanD
There should be a wire with a circuit breaker on it (a little rectangular box) attached to the solenoid terminal that the battery cable attaches to. This is the electricity to the rest of your tractor..lights, ignition switch, etc. The ignition switch on a 7016 will be different than a regular one because it shuts the engine off by grounding out the wire that comes from the points. In other words, there should be continuity between that terminal and ground when the switch is off, and no continuity when in start or run. THis switch has three seperate switches in it. THe one for grounding out the ignition, the main power switch (for example the lights won't come on if the switch isn't in the run position) and the starter switch. It is part number 2178280SM and lists for $12.20 at Jack's so it should be similarly priced at any SImplicity dealership. (I thought it would cost more than this!)

DanD
As for the wiring on the starter generator, there should be a heavy wire going from the solenoid (opposite side of the battery cable) to the "A" terminal. THis is the power to the starter. THere should also be a small wire from the "A" terminal to the "GEN" or "A" terminal on the regulator. THis is electricity from the generator. There should also be a wire from the "F" terminal that goes to the "F" terminal on the regulator. This is electricity from the regulator to the field coils in the generator to control generator output. Probably clear as mud, but I too can post pictures if you need some. Just let me know.

Ken
Here is where I'm at: I bought a new ignition switch from the dealer. Is there supposed to be 4 or five wires going into the back of the switch? I have an empty slot and I'm not to sure if there is supposed to be fifth wire going to it or not. I have 4 wires in the starter generator area that I'm not to sure where they go, white, blue, brown and black. It looks as though the blue goes to the top of the solenoid but I'd like to be positive where they all go. Even with the new switch and a new wire from the positive bat to the solenoid I get nothing when I turn the key. Now, the previous owner put a new after market volt meter in that wasn't reading anything either. I disconnected the volt meter and ran a jumper between the two wires and now at least the headlights will come on and the electric lift motor works. I have only ever seen amp gauges in any tractors I have ever owned ,I don't recall ever seeing a volt gauge. Did he put in the wrong type gauge? Thanks for all the help so far.

BLT
Use 1690203 tractor for a common ground. There is a schematic in the back of the book. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8bwO7rE3CNj5kbp796Dq

PhanDad
See this post for wiring diagrams: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118831 A Briggs ignition switch looks like this:

As you can see, it has 5 connections. The one with the jumper clip is the kill wire to the Briggs mag. Sometimes, the ground connection isn't wired, since the case of the switch is ground. I always run a separate ground wire from the switch terminal to the engine block as shown in the 7016 wiring diagram. As to the use of a volt meter vs an amp meter, the opinions vary. A volt meter can tell you more than an amp meter. They are wired differently. The was a recent post discussing which is best: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=115478&SearchTerms=volt,meter