Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
landlord2110

Tapered Pins

steve-wis
McMaster-Carr has them. http://www.mcmaster.com/#taper-pins/=ejsdcy They also have the tapered reamers to repair or make the holes for them. Usually the pin you buy is longer than you need and you have to cut off each end after driving it in. They go by number sizes, like a number 1, number 4, etc. I think they have a chart so you can determine what size you need by measuring the big and small end of your pin or the big and small end of the hole. Steve

HubbardRA
Is this what you were looking for? Here are a couple that I made for the hookup of my mower deck. Just get it aligned so the point goes through the hole and then smack with a hammer. Much easier than getting it perfectly aligned for the square cut pins. Used a couple 3/8 bolts, a drill, and a grinder. Just took a few minutes to make.

Allis_HB112
MSC is a LARGE distribution company, similar to McMaster Carr. They have a large catalog, about 4" thick, but full sized, and more online. We have a salesman in here every Monday. [url]www.mscdirect.com[/url]

steve-wis
Sorry for the mis-information, but you don't want tapered pins, you want pins with tapered ends. I buy the generic square ones and grind them on the end. The ones made from bolts work well too, I just don't want to drill the cross hole so I buy the generic ones at Fleet Farm. McMaster Carr also sells them...http://www.mcmaster.com/#=eka3te Steve

Talntedmrgreen
I do the same as these guys suggest, and make my own. I also poach originals form machines I buy and sell...I do like the mushroom-cap, tapered end clevis pins best, but have never found a source for new ones.

dirtmister16
i take them from every tractor i find them on, try to keep the supply up. you can never have enough pins and clips. far as new, i think that you can still get them from simplicity, seems my boss has a few new ones laying around.