Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B&S - Returning to points

merlinct7

My 326431 BS 16 has a magnetron ignition installed by its PO. Starts and runs OK but not great. I'd like to ditch the magnetron and return to points. Assuming the flywheel was repolarized for the magnetron, does it need to be re-repolarized to return to points?

You should be fine. I don't beleive the points fired system are polarity sensitive like the Magnetron. Did you plug all the points related holes when do did the conversion?

Thanks, I was hoping that was the case. The previous owner did the conversion, but the points are still there, just not wired in. I think I'll just need to install the appropriate coil and rewire the points. Bob Savary

Previous owner probably didn`t repolarize to begin with. There is probably a way to test to see. If repolarized they run great. Most of the people that sell the parts don`t tell you it is needed or don`t know thereselves. Been through that with my local dealer.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Previous owner probably didn`t repolarize to begin with. There is probably a way to test to see. If repolarized they run great. Most of the people that sell the parts don`t tell you it is needed or don`t know thereselves. Been through that with my local dealer.
Yes there is a way to check the mag polarity. A gaussmeter is the equipment. It is obviously not in every ones tool box. I have one since I regauss British motorcycle Lucas magneto's. You can tell strength and polarity. After previous threads, I went out and checked old points flywheels and newer magnetron flywheels and was able to verify the polarity for myself. sm06 Added: They are opposite from each other: The N-S-N for one and S-N-S for the other ie: flywheel iron----magnet center----flywheel iron. I would have to be home and look at the magnetron wheel and write it down...I wrote on it with the magic marker,

I wouldn't doubt that the flywheel was not repolarized to begin with. It seems like it not quite in time, stumbles a little and is just not as strong as you would expect. However, thre's no gaussmeter in my toolkit either. Without the tools to figure out why the magnetron isn't performing, I'm thinking that it's easier to go back to stock points, which really don't require all that much maintenance in the first place, IMHO.

Exactly. I've converted a few (just did one) and it is not worth going back to points when you can just ship it back and get it done to modern specs for the price of postage. Once you have it set proper you can get some SERIOUS fireballs of spark8D The way they come back from being redone is strong enough that I like to send in some that already are right, just to get them up to peak strength.

The original points flywheel is N-S-N The magnetron flywheel is S-N-S Take a conventional magnet compass and offer it to the center fin of the aluminum magnet carrier, if the north goes toward the wheel it is old points type and not really suitable for magnetron, if the south points to the wheel you should be magnetron ready.

quote:
Originally posted by dynodave
The original points flywheel is N-S-N The magnetron flywheel is S-N-S Take a conventional magnet compass and offer it to the center fin of the aluminum magnet carrier, if the north goes toward the wheel it is old points type and not really suitable for magnetron, if the south points to the wheel you should be magnetron ready.
Wow, the things you learn around here......^

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
quote:
Originally posted by dynodave
Wow, the things you learn around here......^
Whoa, yeh, me too! sm01

Dang, you learn something new every day..dOddOd I did the upgrade in my 2110 and the difference was night and day between the old flywheel and the repolarize service. Mine was extremely hard to start and the engine ran rough until a significant load (tiller) was applied.

Man what timing...I'm working on an old Briggs 16 hp to swap into my 7010 (7016 to be) and PO had trbl after switching to magnitron kit. I've been pulling wrenches for years and never heard of this..? I agree...the things you learn here are never ending

Can any of you post the address and proceedure needed to send a flywheel to Briggs, any fees/costs other than sending it? I suppose I'll need to tell 'em which ignition system for starters, any more? Thanks in advance...

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=110680 Priority mail flat rate is so nice:D Another tip, the flywheels from 243431 on up are largely compatible within the 10-16hp briggs iron series. With only a minor change of coil mount and flywheel you can also do this on a 23D.
  • Like 1

Folks, This topic of Magnetrons and flywheel polarity are topics that were covered 10 years ago in this forum (and multiple times). Searching the archives can get you quick answers (if one chooses to use it). http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=8770&SearchTerms=magnetron http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1420&SearchTerms=menomonee+falls Tom (PK)

quote:
Originally posted by powerking_one
Folks, This topic of Magnetrons and flywheel polarity are topics that were covered 10 years ago in this forum (and multiple times). Searching the archives can get you quick answers (if one chooses to use it). http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=8770&SearchTerms=magnetron http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1420&SearchTerms=menomonee+falls Tom (PK)
This might be a candidate for one of the Resource Articles. I had not bothered to look it up in "search" since I can get through this topic without outside help. But I am glad I ended up at the same place polarity wise as you did and honestly came up with the compass thing again dOdsm06 I might try and make an armature to enable regaussing my wheels here in my shop.

I have Part# 440065 (magnatron ignition)from Jacks small engines for my 243431 brigs. Are you Guys saying that the flywheel should of been repolarized?

The 440065 doesn`t show up in the parts look up on Jacks website. Stens has a 440417 number which is there part number to replace Briggs 398811. Briggs 398811 is the magnetron electronic ignition and 298968 is for points ignition. 243431 parts manual http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=18mqvGXAnfBhU7y

....... and the address is still current to send the flywheel to. Make darn sure the flywheel is packed in such a way where the fins can't break off. Briggs has cracked open a few packages that were poorly packed and had to contact the customers and give them the bad news.