Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FlashandFlare

early 90's sovereign wont start

Recommended Posts

FlashandFlare
Tractor is a 93 Sovereign with a Kohler 18hp Command. Had it running Tue night all was fine, I shut it off and went back a hour later and it won't start, won't crank over. Here is what I have done so far for trouble shooting. Bypassed the switch on the seat and on the PTO and still nothing. Voltage at battery is good I have voltage down at the red wire on solenoid. I have 13.6v down at the blue trigger wire on the solenoid. I have working headlights When I cycle the key from "crank" back to "on" I hear a click coming from near the carb. When I jump the solenoid with a wire I can get the starter motor to spin but of course the bendix is not engaging the flywheel. Is my solenoid kaput ? I tried removing it from the starter without removing starter from the engine but didn't have any luck. I assume the starter motor has to be removed from the engine first. Thanks F&F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FlashandFlare
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
I would say either bad solenoid, ground, or loose/bad connection on solenoid.
The connections on the solenoid were tight and clean when I took them off initially when I tried to remove it from the starter and they are now tight again. What other ground(s) should I check? Thanks for the suggestions. One never realizes how much they need these little power house's till you don't have it. F&F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BLT
Try removing the blue wire from the starter solenoid and then with a short jumper wire on the terminal, jump the other end on the red battery supply wire on the solenoid. That should pull the solenoid in and start motoring. For whatever reason at times there is a voltage drop thru the blue wire when it is trying to pull in the solenoid. Try it and if it does work I have a fix for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FlashandFlare
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Try removing the blue wire from the starter solenoid and then with a short jumper wire on the terminal, jump the other end on the red battery supply wire on the solenoid. That should pull the solenoid in and start motoring. For whatever reason at times there is a voltage drop thru the blue wire when it is trying to pull in the solenoid. Try it and if it does work I have a fix for it.
Will head out and give it a shot. If that solenoid is shot, do you know the part number for replacement ? Thanks F&F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FlashandFlare
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Try removing the blue wire from the starter solenoid and then with a short jumper wire on the terminal, jump the other end on the red battery supply wire on the solenoid. That should pull the solenoid in and start motoring. For whatever reason at times there is a voltage drop thru the blue wire when it is trying to pull in the solenoid. Try it and if it does work I have a fix for it.
Put a alligator clamp from the red wire to the male spade on solenoid and then jumped the solenoid with another wire to get the starter to spin and thats all it did. Starter spun but the bendix still isn't engaging the flywheel. Thanks F&F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
powerking_one
F&F, Have you tried taking the battery jumper cables directly to frame ground and the B+ terminal of the starter motor? if it still spins without engaging the starter gear to the flywheel, then you need to have a frank troubleshooting discussion with Mr. Bendix. It could then just be dirt and chaff on the spiral cam drive/etc and easy to fix. Tom (PK)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FlashandFlare
quote:
Originally posted by powerking_one
F&F, Have you tried taking the battery jumper cables directly to frame ground and the B+ terminal of the starter motor? if it still spins without engaging the starter gear to the flywheel, then you need to have a frank troubleshooting discussion with Mr. Bendix. It could then just be dirt and chaff on the spiral cam drive/etc and easy to fix. Tom (PK)
Ya lost me sorta. Hope this is what your were trying to say. Running a pair of jumper cables from the POS and NEG battery posts directly to the B+ side of the starter motor and chassis ground ? F&F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BLT
The Commands have four different starters available three Delco-Remy and one Nippendenso. Go to here http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp accept, enter as a guest, click on CV17-25 icon, click on CH20 engine and then to spec 64512. The last category is starters and will give you the available parts. Tom-PK is referencing starters that spin the pinion into the starter gear and not pulled in with a solenoid like yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FlashandFlare
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Tom-PK is referencing starters that spin the pinion into the starter gear and not pulled in with a solenoid like yours.
That makes alot more sense now that you say that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FlashandFlare
All fixed, thanks everyone for the assistance. Turned out to be the solenoid. $34.95 for a OEM Denso off eBay and its back in business. http://www.ebay.com/itm/330617732704?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 F&F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×