Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Newbie questions about '71 Sovereign 3314 V

brider

Hello- I've owned a few old garden tractors, but never a Simplicity. A pawn shop near me is selling a '71 Sovereign 3314 V, but the guy doesn't have a clue about it, and I can't find ANY source on the Web describing it's operation, or some kind of operating review, etc. It appears to be a variable tranny, because I saw the H-pattern 1-2-3-R lever, and also a speed lever on the right side (guy said that was a speed lever for the mower blades, so I KNEW he was clueless). But it I was not familiar with other controls I saw; looked like some sort of a swing-lever on the left side of the center tunnel, but also a parking brake leveron the forward face of the left fender. Where is the PTO engage? An it it a manual or electric PTO? It had a manual lift lever on the left side, so I assumed it did NOT have electric lift. Is the clutch/brake operated by the same foot lever? Seemed to run good. The steering arm that connected to what I'll call the Pitman arm at the base of the steering column was sloppy as hell, looked like a very loose connection. Are those parts obtainable anymore? There was a big pulley on the front output shaft of the engine. What's that for? I've been smitten by this model, and I'm sure I can find one in better shape, but I'd sure like some info on it's features and operation. Thanks!

First of all, Welcome. The clutch and brake are the same pedal. The pulley on the front is for front mounted attachments, snowblower etc. The variable works like a manual snowmobile clutch. It changes the ratio between the bevel gear box pulley and the drive pulley on the transaxle. Used steering parts can easily be had on Ebay. I believe the 3300 series had a cone clutch for the mid PTO. You might find a switch somewhere on the dash tower if it was in fact electric. If there's a lever near the park brake, then it is for the mid pto. Are there any attachments with it?? The tractor only could fetch $275-$350 based on condition. http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1971/simplicity_14hp.htm

The 3300 series was a changeover model. From the older body style to the newer. Some, if not all, had the old style mid pto. The "swing-lever on the left side of the center tunnel," is the engage lever for the mid pto there should be a clutch, either manual or electric on the front of the engine, not just a pulley. Likely it would be electric, or there would be another swing-lever on the right side of the tunnel for the manual front pto If you go look again, there should be 2 seat latches, under the front edge of the seat pan, to tip the entire fender pan up and back. Flip that up and you can see the variable system Tim described also once you open that, right at the front of the opening is a gearbox with pulleys out both sides. the right side is drive to the transmission, the left is the pto. Anyway, grab either one (with the tractor not running) and see how far you can turn the pulley before the engine starts to turn. That will let you know if there is excessive play in that gearbox, which can be a major undertaking and expense to repair. And, welcome to a club full of old tractor nuts :D:D

Welcome to the funny farm!sm00 They are pretty decent tractors, if the guy is clueless, shoot him a lowball offer, tell him it's early 70's vintage, and that parts are darn near impossible to get. Then, when you get it for a song, post what parts you think it might need, or any unseen problems you run into. Lots of knowledge floating around in here.

welcome to the club like goatfarmer said shoot a low number at the pawn shop guy bring it home and enjoy the owership of a great tractor and if you need to know anything about it or how to fix something this is the place to be. But be warned once you own 1 tractor it will turn into an obesession and many more will follow you home }:)also if you chose not to buy it please post the location of it so I can go get it

Thanks for the quick info, guys! PTO's: A "mid" and "front" was mentioned; I assume the mid was for the mower deck, and the front was for front power attachments? It had a blade mounted to the front, and the rotted-out deck was in a shed. Combined with the variable-speed lever, was the 1-2-3 gearbox basically a RANGE selector, as one way to look at it? That is, within any gear, the speed lever would allow a limited range of speeds? I'll go take another look at it as if I'm really interested, but it will be for my own info; the worker said it was the owner's tractor, and $600 was bottom dollar, or he'd just use it again to plow snow this winter. Oh, it also had chains and WH wheel weights. I know the tractor addiction all too well, I've just never owned a Simplicity. And this example is NOT worth 6 bills. 4, MAYBE.

At $600.00 the BGB (mid PTO) should only have a 1/16" - 1/8" play max. You can easily spend $400.00 on a BGB. With no electric lift, I would keep looking. There are alot of good deals out there. Check Craigslist. Is there a deck? Is this the tractor? http://newhaven.craigslist.org/for/2658222821.html

What does BGB mean? There is a deck, but one of the rotted-out areas has a piece of fiberboard, yes, fiberboard, somehow attached internally to close up the big hole. Like I said, I'll go back and look at it to gain some personal knowledge hands-on, but he won't budge from his $600 price, and I know there are others out there. It's not like I NEED it right now...

Below is the parts manual and opertors manual. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8auK3rE3CG.5kbp796Dq http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8arH6rE3CG.5kbp796Dq

I think for that price, you have more choices that this one tractor. You could research later models like Simp 7000-series or 7100-series - there's also Allis Chalmers tractors, identical to the Simps, except often different motor. (BS or Kohler) (AC700's, AC900's) You can download ops manuals for all of them, and you can get a lot of Simp history from this site. Check www.simpletractors.com home page, links to all kinds of stuff. This site is devoted to these tractors. I agree with "MAYBE 4" for a running tractor; but that deck - you'll hate it forever, so it's like no deck, and snowblade is cheap. Yer left with a barebones tractor. MAYBE 3. And if deck maintenance is an indicator, MAYBE less. I'd give it a 'sentimental sniff', on the way by. Mainly cos it has those cool old headlights. And it's one of the forerunners of the Sovereigns that lasted till circa 2k. As said, shop around - this time of year = DEALS.!