Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

suck and blow - vac and turbo

hotrodtractor

:D Just picked up a near new turbo with ALL the parts and wide body cart for a 48" sovereign deck. Pd a good buck for it but was from a dealer and all the stuff is there and was on a 75th of all things. Anyway I searched the achieves and saw a couple mentions of this idea but never seen any follow up that it ever happened. My plan: Turbo off deck to push grass into the tube feeding a Trac Vac (with engine) or rear pto vac (I have both)then output to the large vac trailer. I know many guys love the turbo's many love the pto/trac vac so why not combine them for a suck and blow combo. Turbo blows grass up the tube and the vac sucks. I do not see that these two forces would compete... rather they should compliment..... Agree? Do you think it will perform better than each unit by itself?

Yes, there's definitely a psychic vortex that could cause quite a conundrum. But I think we've come to expect that. 8) Back in the real world, I think it will never clog. I think you should start the sucker before the blower. And you probably could use it to move (or remove) topsoil, light gravel, gophers, and fertilizer spills. Leaves? gone! with a 90% reduction in particle size, smaller volume. Or if you pre-mowed, you will get a 90% reduction on the 90% reduced, which leaves a leaves volume of 1%. Really gone! Do these suckers and blowers do "shredding" as they work?? That would be one-pass in November. sm01 Do we get to see pix also? :drl

Interesting and well worth a try. I would think your total airflow would be the same, just taking some of the load off both fans. I don't see how you could do any harm. Give it a shot an let us know what happens.

This is not to discourage you in your plans and it totally my opinion- I think its rather a waste of time and money to do both. If you have a turbo on the mower and a cart to put it in you will be more than satisfied wsith the job it does. I borrowed one of those units before I got my first one and found it clumsy to use cause I have many trees in the yard and backing up or going around them wasn't fun. Very happy with my setup.

no cost involved I have all the stuff already. I have not used the turbo yet so maybe I will be happy with just it but doubt it's better than the 6.5hp trac vac with a huge impeller. I would like to better suck up the harder stuff like acorns and wood chips. The trac vac does miss an occasional wet leaf or acorn, but otherwise it's a big ole beastly sucker. :I The gator blades mulch it up good and vac cart is filled tight. It does seem that the vac does mulch up some as when I use the roving nozzle leaves and twigs are all but little specks in the trailer. But agree the big ole trailer is a pain.. hence why I bought the turbo and cart........I was just wanted to see if I could double up and take it to the next extreme......that's just me I guess.

I think its overkill but hey, if you like it what the heck. My turbo on my dlx will only clog if it fills. Other then that it screams thru!

ok so used the turbo to mow grass and suck leaves it filled 3 times in my 1/2 acre tac vac only needs empty once. It did work good but no better than the trac vac. I love love love the trailer/cart, way better to be able to backup and take tigher turns.

Now to try top double them up. I agree that as is it works as good as I needed it to.

quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
Does the government even allow this?? }:)
The government does it all the time :D Oh Wait!! we were talking about grass and leaves.....}:)}:)

Turbo on deck is a forced draft and vacuum on trac vac is induced draft. See it everyday at coal fired power plants. If you clog that thing you're doing something!