Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The dreaded "click"

dads707

When I turn the key all I get is the click. Starts fine when I wrap the rope around the flywheel and start it manually. Question is, switch or solenoid? (This is on a 728, the solenoid is mounted below gas tank and battery, it would be a bear to change out!)

check that the starter is grounded properly. if a little rust has built up on mount it will not work correctly. just had this happen on a sears st/16

Check you cable terminals. If they have a white film on them, clean that off as that is an insulating film causing part of the problem. Battery terminals need to be clean also. Internal - external tooth lock washers also make for a better bonding connection.

Check voltage at the starter side of the solinoid when the key is in start position. If it reads very low then you have a "voltage drop" caused by; poor cable connections, bad contacts inside the solinoid, bad or undercharged battery or maybe bad starter windings leaking to ground... Good luck

If you can get to it, jump the battery cable connection to the starter cable connection on the solenoid. If it cranks, solenoid is bad. Otherwise it is one of the problems mentioned in the other answers probably. I had the same problem with my Allis, but the solenoid was under the seat so I could get at it. If I tapped it with a hammer it would work. New solenoid solved the problem. Steve

another way to check solenoid vs battery supply is to jumper cable from a known good battery(like another tractor). If it runs the prob is the battery or connections.

Also, batteries have a tendency to just up and puke out. No warning, just scrap. If it jump starts when connected to the terminals, it may be the battery. Then, you will have to see if it is may be a charging issue. Otherwise, all of the above recommendations are also a good place to start.