Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LesH

Repairing Bent Front Axles-----

LesH
I bought a an AC 716H. It is good, but the front axles are both bent. I was thinking of cutting a plywood template and getting the correct angle from a known good axle and then heating the axle to red hot, then using a pipe around the axle to get it back to the correct angle, checking the angle with the template and then letting the axle cool in the air. Is that the right way to do it?? Or would the axle break or bend again?? Thanks.

steve-wis
I would try it. The metal will be easier to bend after you straighten it, but worth a try for sure. If you are talking the main axle I would think it will hold. If you are talking the spindles, they might bend again if you hit something or lift very heavy on the front. A guy I know has a broodmoor, about 1995 or so. Hit a pole and bent the spindle. We cold straightened it with a long pipe. It didn't crack and as far as I know is is still ok, but wouldn't recommend the cold bending, too much chance of cracking. good luck! Steve

Allis_HB112
I personally don't like to get things RED hot, that I believe to be heat treated. I know from repairing welded, damaged areas on plastic injection molds, such as textured surfaces, that when you get things RED hot, you mess up the molecular structure, and you will have a terrible time getting the hardness correct and you will never get the fix invisible. (I'm a tool & die moldmaker, 38 years.) My suggestion, being spindle axles are subject to much stress, is to heat them up, but do NOT get them bright red (orange), but get them up to a nice "brick" red. They should still be hot enough to do minor straightening, but won't damage the heat treatment of the steel. If that doesn't work, go for it and get it red. You can always temper it back by getting it brick red and letting it cool for a few minutes. Do this several times. I just don't like messing with the heat treatment of steels if I don't have to. Never tried this on spindles. Just thinking out loud. I wouldn't bend them cold, though.