Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
chuckdog

Swapping a rear end out of 916, how bad?

chuckdog
I asked a week or so ago about the rear end in my dad's 916. It is leaking really bad now from the seal between the two halves of the bottom case. I could either pull it out and tear it apart and fix the seal or replace it with another rearend. He has another rearend there from a 912 which he wanted me to swap out. How bad of a job is it, and how long would it take? My brother in law helped him out with a bevel gear box swap a couple years ago and he says it's a pain and I think he's just burnt out from helping my dad and doesn't want to tackle it. My dad is 82, and not the handiest anymore, so it's something he's no longer able to tackle himself, but I want to get his tractor back up and going. This is the one that he puts the blower on for the winter. If any of you have any tips or tricks that would help me along the way, that would be great.

chuckdog
I got another question, I have a 7117 parts tractor here. would it be easier to change out the whole back half of the tractor with the bevel gear box etc. all together, then to try and take the other rear end all apart? Just thinking. ONly thing is I don't know for sure if any of this is good as I bought it as a parts tractor.

RayS
Anywhere for 2 - 4 hours with an impact. It really isn`t that bad after you get going. Is the 916h Hydraulic lift? If so you will either want to swich pumps or move the springs, cup and shims over to the 912H pump. We can walk you through that when you get to that point.

chuckdog
Thanks for the link Ray. I will slowly work my way through this. After thinking about it this morning, I think I am going to use the hydro rear end out of the 912 and save my 7117 for mine for parts for my other 7117 in case I need them.

OrangeMetalGuy
Once you get the tractor put back together you may want to take the other trans apart and fix the leaking. It will be a good experience and you'll find it's not that difficult. Plus then you'll have a spare transaxle!

chuckdog
I took a better look at it tonite and it's definately leaking from the seal between the two halves of the housing as my brother in law "patched" it there last year with some permatex. I told dad we would tackle her in the next weekend or two. I would like to have the time to take it all down and put it all back together in one day barring any problems, that way I won't forget too much!!!

Mike
It's not too bad of a job to just pull the pump and replace the o-ring to stop the leak. Also be sure it's not the seal for the lower hydro hose leaking. Otherwise switching out rear ends is pretty straight forward..