Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-1 Year of Manufacture?

Just got an old Allis Chalmers B-1 from my father-in-law's best friend for $1.00 (brings my lawn tractor "collection" to 2, including my '68 Broadmoor). Has a 42" deck and rear rototiller attachment. Seems to be in decent shape--has one crack in the frame that I'd like to have welded, and smokes a little, but runs strong. I'm interested in finding out what year it is. Serial # is 5612AC. I'm assuming from using the cross-reference table that it's approximately a '62 (since it corresponds to Simplicity 725). It now has a 9 hp Briggs engine, but I know that's not original. Any info would be helpful. Got the B-1 because the mower deck on the Broadmoor is noisy (bearings apparently bad, since greasing didn't help). Not sure what I'll do with that one. I'm not really in the position to start collecting tractors. Just want a decent one with old-time character to maintain the property. Thanks for any help. Greg

B-1s were made in 1961 and 1962. In 1963 they went to the 9HP early B-10. Without the original engine #, it would be very difficult to put a more accurate date on it. You might try comparing the serial # to any of those listed in the Registry, and see it that can help pin in down more. Sadly, we have no record of what serial numbers were made when...

Try looking on the tranny just bekow the right rear axle, I've found a casting # there and a date cast into the housing, It might be a clue..MPH