Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Allis_HB112

The Last Few Steering Eccentric Pin Rebuild Kits

Allis_HB112
I just listed the last (5) sets of my steering eccentric pin rebuild kits for the 60's AC & Simplicity tractors, such as the B110. When these are gone, that's it. I've made almost 25 kits. $25 here per kit shipped, but going to Ebay for $30 plus shipping because of the extra fees involved. I'd rather sell them here. Limit (2) kits per member please.
[img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff261/rocknss04/Allis%20Chalmers%20HB112/DSCF2075s2.jpg[/img]

Allis_HB112
The pin is eccentric to adjust the fit between the gears. I'm not sure it was on the '64 Landlord. It goes in the steering gear assembly that looks like this:
[img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff261/rocknss04/Allis%20Chalmers%20HB112/DSCF2097.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff261/rocknss04/Allis%20Chalmers%20HB112/DSCF2098.jpg[/img]
(1) sold. (4) left.

Allis_HB112
Slop can be many places in the steering, this is only one place. In my HB112 the pin loosened up and wore out the cast iron mount the pin sits in. I had to bore the 3/8" hole straight and open it up 1/64" to save it. The bronze bushing was wore .030", and the 1/2" dia on the eccentric pin was wore .020". The result was the end of the steering wheel shaft was able to wobble substantially. The other problem area here is the hard steel bushings in the pinion gear. This unit I was able to squeeze down and tighten up to make it acceptable. I have another unit here that is wore beyond that and requires re-bushing with larger bushings. Not sure what to do with that, but it's a spare anyways. There are many other areas that wear, such as the steering arm ball joints, which I replaced with off the shelf Oregon units for under $10 each, but were female threads where attached to the steering arm. This required 2 1/2" to be cut from the center of the arm. For the $50 I saved in parts cost, this was not a problem. So what this kit does is replace the worn out bronze bushing and eccentric pin with a super hard eccentric pin and an oilite bronze bushing that SHOULD last longer than you will own that beast. The old one lasted 40 years.

Allis_HB112
Slop can be many places in the steering, this is only one place. In my HB112 the pin loosened up and wore out the cast iron mount the pin sits in. I had to bore the 3/8" hole straight and open it up 1/64" to save it. The bronze bushing was wore .030", and the 1/2" dia on the eccentric pin was wore .020". The result was the end of the steering wheel shaft was able to wobble substantially. The other problem area here is the hard steel bushings in the pinion gear. This unit I was able to squeeze down and tighten up to make it acceptable. I have another unit here that is wore beyond that and requires re-bushing with larger bushings. Not sure what to do with that, but it's a spare anyways. There are many other areas that wear, such as the steering arm ball joints, which I replaced with off the shelf Oregon units for under $10 each, but were female threads where attached to the steering arm. This required 2 1/2" to be cut from the center of the arm. For the $50 I saved in parts cost, this was not a problem.
[img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff261/rocknss04/Allis%20Chalmers%20HB112/DSCF2095.jpg[/img]
So what this kit does is replace the worn out bronze bushing and eccentric pin with a super hard eccentric pin and an oilite bronze bushing that SHOULD last longer than you will own that beast. The old one lasted 40 years.

Buickgsman
ok, my steering setup is different on the 64 so thats a relief. Mine is a simple gear setup and has teeth all the way around. The ball ends for the steering arm I did find the male version of what you got so no cutting required. I believe they were like 13 bucks at the hardware store. Bob

Allis_HB112
quote:
Originally posted by Buickgsman The ball ends for the steering arm I did find the male version of what you got so no cutting required. I believe they were like 13 bucks at the hardware store. Bob
My Simplicity dealer wanted about $33 a piece for the Simplicity 1/2-20 male-male ball joints. He sold me the Oregon brand units for under $9 each. I figured for the about $55 I saved I could cut it and not only save now, but save again when it was time too do it again.