Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

kohler question

dav

from a briggs affictionado. what exactly is the problem with the kohler command motors? seems to me that many have condemned them for something, saying that an updated model is more reliable, but i dont recall anyone saying just what the problem is. do they wear out fast and start smoking? do they throw parts out like a grenade? do they just die out and refuse to restart? i have an ulterior motive for asking. in the morning i will be working on a command18 in a cushman dump cart at work. it is way over full with oil and only one plug is firing. draining some oil out to get it to the mark is relatively simple (discounting the square head oil plug in a shop full of hex sockets[i am having to bring tools from home to work with, hoping that if i get it running right this will lead to me being promoted to mechanic, with a hefty pay increase]) putting new plugs in will be a challenge due to brackets that make it difficult to get my fat fingers into line with the plug holes. knowing why everyone hates the early kohler command may give me some sense of direction. i doubt the boss will let me swap a vanguard into it, although we have several machines deadlined that have briggs motors.

The Triad overhead cam engine is the one that disintegrates. Commands are good engines, and should give good reliable service if you take care of them. People complain a lot about the K-series Kohler one cylinder engines, but I have had good luck with them. Just a lot of guys on this site with B/S stamped on their foreheads, and don't want anything else. They think Kohler engines are no good because Kohler also makes bathroom fixtures. Totally different divisions of a large company.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Just a lot of guys on this site with B/S stamped on their foreheads, and don't want anything else. They think Kohler engines are no good because Kohler also makes bathroom fixtures. Totally different divisions of a large company.
I wonder if the connection is that Kohler is just good with casting and heating or heating and casting.... I'll bet similar technologies for both. I was not aware everyone hates Kohler Command... I think you may be confused with triad as well. Im with Rod, good engines are good engines. If you take the time to learn it im sure you'll be better for it... regardless if this motor has been abused beyond repair of if you get 'er goin. It really burns my butt when I find stuff like that... how hard is it not to overfill... hmmm if some oil is good alot must be great... uuuhhhh!!! cheers

quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Just a lot of guys on this site with B/S stamped on their foreheads, and don't want anything else. They think Kohler engines are no good because Kohler also makes bathroom fixtures. Totally different divisions of a large company.
I wonder if the connection is that Kohler is just good with casting and heating or heating and casting.... I'll bet similar technologies for both. I was not aware everyone hates Kohler Command... I think you may be confused with triad as well. Im with Rod, good engines are good engines. If you take the time to learn it im sure you'll be better for it... regardless if this motor has been abused beyond repair of if you get 'er goin. It really burns my butt when I find stuff like that... how hard is it not to overfill... hmmm if some oil is good alot must be great... uuuhhhh!!! cheers
Its very possible if one cylinder quit firing, the crank case may be over full with gasoline, not oil. I would start with a complete drain and refill, not just drain it down to the full mark.

my personnal fleet of iron is all briggs powered, except for 2 tecumsuhs (they were free so...) i have never owned or worked on a kohler. obviously i have misunderstood comments i have read and leaped without looking. thanks for the imput. i do hope to sort out this cart as it is the last steel bodied American made machine we have to use. if it goes, the replacement will be a plastic body tax write off from asia.

Nothing wrong with the commands great engines I have several read up and you will find many with over 3500hrs. But I would take a vanguard for the smoothness and lower fuel use. Just stay away from the traid/ohc "turd".:D

did drain the oil. more gas than oil actually and used a test light on the plugs. no spark to one side. we do not have a single parts diagram for kohler. anyway, the boss now knows what's needed. i'm betting it will be 2 to 3 months before any action is taken unless the cart quits completely

I've had great luck with Kohler - and absolutely refuse to buy anything with a Briggs and Scrap'em engine anymore. We have spent more time putzing with stuff powered by Briggs than we ever have actually using them. Honda tops all though.