Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plowing

Homesteader

These pics are a few days old but i just now got the chance to post them due to the corn harvest. For those who came to my plowday, (BLT, timflury), you know that it got rained outXX(. but i guess we were able to plow just long enough for my girlfriend's grandpa to check it out and decide to hire me. I plowed him a new garden.:DdOd [IMG]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb260/glennske/HebiorPlowing1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb260/glennske/HebiorPlowing2.jpg[/IMG]

so do you guys plow in fall then let it sit through winter then till? I see many guys till also in fall. But gut tells me it's better to not disturb the soil anymore than possible.

when i plow i leave it until spring. the longer it sits the nicer it tills. i just have to get my tiller working by spring. PO abused it. some of the bolts holding bearing together were sheared. i used it not knowing this and now i have a giant paper weight. need to basically rebuild it.XX( P.S thanks guys, that old 310 really plows! now that i got the depth and pitch set just where i want it, it plows like butter. even peeled an old hidden tree stump up and outB)

Kevin, the advantage of letting the plowed dirt sit over the winter is, in this case, the sod will rot down a lot, thus till up finer and the slabs laid out there by the plow will soften a LOT. This plot looks to be pretty well protected from wind but the open ground will also hold snow better through the winter and warm faster in the spring.

It was very nice ground. I was talking with him afterwords and he told me the last time that soil was touched was in 1946 when he and his dad tryed plowing it with their brand new Farmall H. They had a horse plow hooked up to it but the ground was so hard that year they gave up and made it part of the yard

Wish some of you were close enough to teach me how to get one of my small tractors to plow like that. LOL I wish I could get my Farmall H to plow that neat. I know its the clay, but I can wish can't I ? LOL Nice job.

quote:
Originally posted by Tarheel
Wish some of you were close enough to teach me how to get one of my small tractors to plow like that. LOL I wish I could get my Farmall H to plow that neat. I know its the clay, but I can wish can't I ? LOL Nice job.
Terry, Im in NC and a couple of friends are going to be having a plowday soon. If you're interested in plowing with a garden tractor, come on down! We'll get you set up right and the red clay wont be an issue.