Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sundstrand questions/observations...

larry8200

My 7112H's hydro has been a little sluggish and mushy lately. It was a little low on fluid, and topping it off cured it fine. I have been filling it through the side vent plug with the rear fill tube open and fill it till that tube is full. To cure it today I think I only put half a pint in it, and it took 20 minuites to fill through the side plug, and it bubbled slowly in. I cant recall problems refilling the later models with the short filter on the side, just the old 7112H with the remote filter. I was also surprised that less than a half quart low would make such a difference. On the other hand the late model power steering Sovereign was night and day for doing a fresh filter and fluid. Is there a better way to fill the old style Sundstrand?

Fill through the tube by the rear hitch that is on a 45 degree angle. If you lift the little air relief valve above the axle tube on the left side it will fill quicker.

Thats how I do it. Stick a small funnel in the rear tube and hold the vent up while filling, stopping to check the lever periodically. Half a quart was what my DA917 needed to end its sluggishness. Its faster to fill a Simplicity Sundstrand than it is to fill a Wheel horse sundstrand. They dont have a vent:O Filling those with 6 quarts takes over an hour.

Even with the vent plug removed it fills maybe an ounce a minuite through the rear tube, the newer ones fill fine though. When I changed the fluid last summer it took an hour to refill and I couldn't get quite 2 quarts in it. Its supposed to take 3 quarts?

I unscrew the vent cap. It goes much quicker. Just wipe it off first and then put a rag over it while filling. It only took about 5 times to figure out that one!

Sounds like theres a restriction in your pipe perhaps. Doest go that slow in any I have filled, from 1975 on up. Maybe grime built up at the bottom of the tube or case? Just guessing...

When I got it in july of 2010, As-Is, it had gear oil in it, I flushed it twice and have ran it quite a bit. Seems OK but anything is possible.