Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Locating material..

SmilinSam
Anyone seen for sale any real thin aluminum or steel sheet metal that has a self adhesive backing? Something that can be easily cut with fine snips or say scissors ? Tired of sticking Hydro saftey decals over the open shift pattern holes, just waiting to poke a hole in the decal. The tractors originally had a thin skin of metal glued down the decal went on, but most come off over the life span of the tractors. Looking for replacement material.

Allis_HB112
I've thought about just filling it in myself. Tack welding some thin plate on the back side to cover the hole, then JB weld it full, or even fill it with a steel cutout, or cover it with brass plate and weld it full from the back, or the other way around. Then the hole would just be gone forever (bummer!). May not be original, but then there are so many things NOT original on this old girl that this would just plain look "factory", unless someone knew better. Another good choice would be to use some this stainless steel (high-polish), which is readily available at your local steel supplier. You'd have to band saw that stuff though. I'm just against using the cheap aluminum that the factory used. This is one area that the factory fell short and there is room for improvement without sacrificing quality. The decal will still make it look original. My 2 cents.

rokon2813
Sam, 25 years ago when I was playing around with body work, you could buy a roll of thin metal tape at the auto parts store for filling rust holes. Don't know if it is still available or not but it would be perfect.

B10Dave
Sam. Not sure who supplies it because I kind of liberated it from a previous job; I have thin aluminum tape with adhesive backing and paper over it so it does not stick to itself. About 4 in. wide. Unroll size you need then cut with scissors. Peel off backing and apply. Worked at the telephone company when I "found" the roll. Dave. Went out to the shop and took these pics for you to see what I mean Sam. Box says 4in. x 40ft. aluminum foil. Backing says MacTac made in Canada. Could be a Three M product?

Sam, if this looks like what you need PM me your mailing address and I will send you enough to cover several shift holes. Dave.

HubbardRA
I have seen the adhesive backed aluminum used extensively in this area by heating and air conditioning companies. It is used to seal ductwork during an installation. It should be readily available. It comes on a roll with tape that you pull off to expose the adhesive. Someone gave me some that I used on a couple projects several years ago. Try this link: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Fire_Protection_Products/Home/Products_and_Systems/Products_2/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GHHD0IAH52Q9618R7_nid=XWZ23Q5LTPbe2B4PS7XTM3gl

RayS
http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/aluminum%20adhesive%20tape?_dmd=1&_sop=12&rvr_id=278565835141&clk_rvr_id=278565835141&MT_ID=69&crlp=6793412920_1&tt_encode=raw&geo_id=1&keyword=aluminum+adhesive+tape&adgroup_id=1911950920

Brettw
There would not be much strength to the aluminum tape shown. Better than nothing, but don't expect miracles. I was thinking a fairly quick fix, that is reversable if ever need be, would be to epoxy (JB Weld) a small piece of steel or heavy gauge sheet metal over the shifter hole from the backside. Clean surfaces and it should stick and set up quickly. Then, a small amount of bondo to fill the hole. Easy to finish flat, and you are good to go. Just a thought.