Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Worse than before...

Viva-la-B-110

Today I took the advice of the good people on this forum and spent the afternoon working on my Briggs 326431 that I have in my B-110. It had been choking down and dying after about 15 or 20 minutes of work only to restart 5 or 10 minutes later and repeat the cycle. Today I checked the valve clearance--which was good. I took the carb apart and cleaned it (there was some trash in the air jet), took the gas tank out, cleaned it out, took the screen off the tank, checked the gas for water, etc. I started it back up and it ran perfect for less than a minute before choking down. I adjusted on the carb some and it will now run, choke down like it's going to die, pick back up and choke down again-- so I have no real idea if anything I did today made any difference to the problem I started out with or not. As always, I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions! Thanks!

I believe the governor should be good. But run it past me again what it should be? Also, the throttle is wired wide open, which is fine as far as I'm concerned; unless it's an issue

clean and regap points ?. bad coil ? do you have a 12V coil laying around ?. could always hook it up and buy pass the original just see if it runs beter. also check wire connections. and you said its set to always be running at full throttle ?. not a good thing i would believe.

The fuel line is good. I'm seeing what looks like some seepage around the head gasket, nothing major-- more like a stain that gets bigger each time you look. Spark is good. And I believe the compression is good. When it was running before it ran strong and smooth-- just like brand new-- until it would choke down and die. I went ahead and broke the screen off and haven't replaced it with a new filter yet-- but if breaking it off seems to fix the issues, I definetly will.

Go the extra step and disconnect the fuel line at the carb and observe the flow into a quart jar. The flow should be almost equal to the diameter of the hose. If not loosen tank cap and do it again to see if it improves. Sometime the vent is plugged in fuel cap. At least then you can eliminate your fuel supply. I assume that "choking off" means that you are starving for fuel.

BTL is on it... If your fuel line is too long and hangs down than fuel wont refill the carb bowl after the inital gas is used up it will lean-out & sputter. The fuel elbow on the carb should be 90degrees facing sideways, and the hose just long enough to reach it (no hang-down) I found this on my restoration, new hose & filter- same problem. If I lifted up the hose while it started to sputter it would smooth right out, I shortened the hose... Never had another issue with it...!
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Go the extra step and disconnect the fuel line at the carb and observe the flow into a quart jar. The flow should be almost equal to the diameter of the hose. If not loosen tank cap and do it again to see if it improves. Sometime the vent is plugged in fuel cap. At least then you can eliminate your fuel supply. I assume that "choking off" means that you are starving for fuel.

Fuel line length shouldn't matter all that much as long as your getting a good steady flow through the screen ( if it's still intact) and the filter. Most all of mine run a fairly longish line under the carb and up with the 90 degree fitting about 45 degrees from horizontal. Could easily be loose stuff in the tank that's enough to clog the screen and then settle out, most of us just take that screen out of the tank and use a good fuel filter. If your valve clearances are ok and your compression is ok both hot and cold than it has to be either fuel supply or ignition circuit! As fuel filters go I like to use a clear ones so I can see when they're dirty or if fuel is flowing, but they need to work with the gravity feed!